chapter 09

sexual themes, alcohol, cigarettes and drugs are involved in this chapter; content marked +13 (everything is consensual)

also friendly reminder: this is set in modern era, year not specified

NARRATOR'S POV

That first week, Lupin met Carina at the library during study/free periods. He didn't miss a single day. "How're you today?" He would ask, "How're your classes?" At first she'd be as professional as possible, trying really hard to not let him in. "And your friends?" The day of the Boggart, it had caught them both off guard, so she didn't hold him accountable to anything he'd said... Everything changed fairly quickly.

On Wednesday, she got called into Snape's office along with Graham. They'd been made Prefects. Carina played it cool, but she was actually the happiest she'd been in a while. Draco was ecstatic. He knew how much she wanted this. Same with George, Cassius and Adrian, who all congratulated her. Remus did the same, looking prouder than he sounded.

By Friday, Lupin's walking up the stairs just as she walks out of the library, "Leaving early today?" Nina looks up at him, holding her books against her chest. The green eyed girl takes a deep breath, nodding.

"Uh, yeah," she says simply, not wanting to give him any hints about the party going on that night. They knew the Professors were aware about the few clandestine parties that occurred, but that still didn't mean they wanted them to have the details. She gets too caught up in her thoughts and misses the disappointed look that flashes Lupin's face.

"May I walk with you then?" Asks the man, nodding at the castle. They would need to cross the Quidditch pitch and the Hogwarts bridge, which would give him enough time to ask her about her day. Carina shrugs, nodding slightly. They start to walk towards the main building, side by side. "You did a great job today," he notes, thinking back on the class they'd had.

Carina hums in response, running a hand through her jet black hair, "Thanks," she's used to getting praise from Professor's, but something about Lupin hits her in a different way. It makes her want to smile, but she contains it by pursing her lips. "Didn't mean to trip Miles with the Impediment Jinx, though," she says half heartedly.

"Yeah, you did," Remus chuckles, shaking his head.

The girl can't help but laugh softly, lips curling downwards as she admits to it, "Fine, yeah, I did."

"Well, he was supposed to deflect it... you were too fast for him," the Professor tells her. The tone in his voice holds a proudness she's never heard before. "Duelling comes easy to you then?" He wonders, making conversation.

After thinking about it for a few seconds, she clears her throat, "I mean, kind of? It's not as if I don't practice, father would never allow that - but I do love it," she confesses carelessly. Somehow, Remus has managed to get very private details out of her, not that she minds. "Sorry, I don't know why I said that," Carina mumbles under her breath, shuddering at the mention of Lucius.

"I remember your father from my time back here, as a student," he says thoughtfully as her eyebrows furrow. "He spent most of his time with your mother, of course. Never really chatted with us because of house differences... I see that hasn't changed much for all of you," chuckles Remus, shaking his head. "Always a rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin... Can't say we weren't part of the problem," he sounds somewhat ashamed.