chapter 25

NARRATOR'S POV

"What do you mean they're Apparating? Why aren't we?" Whinge the twins, groaning in annoyance. Since none of them are seventeen yet, they can't Apparate without breaking the law. Carina chuckles to herself, tightening the strap of her bag around her shoulder. Cedric, who is almost seventeen as well, just watches with amusement as the twins continue bickering, "We're great at Apparating! Charlie's the one that sucks," points out Fred without hesitation.

"Oi!" Arthur and Charlie hush the twins at the same time, shaking their heads. Nina bites her bottom lip as they continue walking, Harry, Ron and Ginny conversing with each other. "I passed my test the second time, alright? Bugger off, Freddie," states Charlie, shoving his brother in a playful manner.

A scoff leaves George's mouth, "Yeah," he mutters, rolling his eyes. "After all, Apparating on top of a Muggle woman's trolley at the mall is a definite fail, isn't it?" Bill splutters on his water at George's words, unable to stop his laughter from bubbling up his throat. "It's true!" Complains George when Arthur glares at him in a threatening manner.

Finally, they arrive at the Portkey, which is set up a small hill. It's a brown, worn out boot. "I don't wanna put my hands on that," Carina hears Ginny grumble under her breath. "Couldn't it have been a bar of soap or something that doesn't look like it's been used hundreds of times?" Questions Ginny, narrowing her eyes.

The group grin at her wit, standing in place around the Portkey. "Why are we standing around an old boot?" Asks Harry, tilting his head to the side. A few seconds later, they're no longer standing, but laying down on the ground, some of them already stretching their arms out towards the magical object. "Hello?" Insists the younger boy when nobody answers to him.

"This is a Portkey. We're going to the World Cup using this," says George, his hand already on the shoe. Harry makes a face, but says nothing, placing his hand on top of it, same as everybody else.

"See you there," they hear Bill speak. Carina turns to look at the three older brothers. Percy and Charlie hold on to Bill's shoulders. "Hold on tight, Gin," he tells his baby sister before they Disapparate out of sight with a loud crack.

Carina can't help but reminisce about how different this is from what she normally does, or used to do, with Lucius for a father. They would've never taken a public Portkey, and they'd probably already be with the Minister by now. Her thoughts are cut short when she hears Amos begin counting down from three. Harry and Nina make eye contact, and a chortle leaves her lips at the expression on his face.

Harry looks done, stare blank as his grip on the boot tightens, "I have never felt more stupid in my entire - " before he can even finish his sentence, they begin falling out of the sky. Everyone lets out exhilarating screams, obviously loving the feeling, except for Harry who clearly wasn't expecting it to feel this way. "Oh my God! Oh my God!"

Definitely raised by Muggles, Carina feels her hair flowing in every direction as her eyes squint with happiness. George screeches with delight, as does Ginny, throwing her head back. Fred's eyes land on Carina, a grin forming on his face at the pure expression on her face. "Let go, kids!" Amos calls loudly, letting go of the boot along with Cedric.

"You're crazy!" Harry shouts, shaking his head as Ginny takes her hand off of the Portkey with George and Arthur.

Carina pulls on Harry's free hand to get his attention, "Let go, Harry!" She yells, tugging on his hand. Unsure, Harry lets go off the Portkey with a stream of curse words leaving his mouth. Carina turns to Fred and removes her hand, clasping it to his a millisecond before falling. Fred smiles at her, following suit. They plummet towards earth for a few seconds before landing on the ground.