chapter 46

NARRATOR'S POV

The morning after, Carina and George are in the kitchen, making breakfast for everybody. George is quieter than usual, but he still tries to joke around with her as much as possible. He manages to get a few laughs out of the black haired girl, and more than a couple eye rolls. "You're impossible," she chuckles, pouring a cup of tea for herself and George. "Did you sleep okay?"

George shrugs slightly, nodding. "As much as I could," he admits, tilting his head. "Freddie never came back though," points out the younger twin. Carina blushes lightly, turning her attention to the bread, continuing to butter it.

"We fell asleep on the sofa after talking," says the older girl, the reddening in her cheeks lessening slightly. George snorts at the look on her face, but takes her word for it. "Dad says he got word from Cass, Adrian and Lee," she tells him, changing the subject. "Lee got worried when he got up and didn't see Fred and I there so he woke my boys up and they sent a joint letter..." George hums in response, rinsing a few plates and neatly stacking them up. "I think we may invite them over for Christmas."

The ginger boy nods, "I think we'd all like that." Carina leans her head against his shoulder and sighs. "I can't thank your dads enough for letting us stay here. I'm gonna talk to Fred about it, but I'm sure he'll agree that you three will get discounts for life in our shop," says George, looking down at his best friend. Carina is about to shake her head when someone interrupts their conversation.

"That's a given," they both turn around at the sound of Fred's voice, who walks over to them, kissing Carina's temple and patting George's back. "Morning," he says, a slight smile on his face. "I found Sirius in the hallway a moment ago. He said we're going to the hospital later today to see how dad's doing... Mum gave the okay," explains Fred. George's breath hitches in his throat, and he clutches the tea cup closer to his chest, nodding. Fred notices the slight change in his demeanour, noticing his fear, he gives his brother shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "She said he's doing better, Georgie. I know it's hard but we have to stay strong for -"

Suddenly, Ginny walks into the kitchen, a gloomy expression on her face. "Morning," her voice is much quieter than it usually is, her smile less shiny than normal. "Oh, you made tea?" She asks quietly, receiving a cup from Carina, who nods, offering the young girl a small grin. "Thank you, Nina."

"Of course, Gin," murmurs Carina, watching as Ginny sips on the warm beverage. "Shall we sit down?" They all nod in agreement and take their seats at the kitchen table, not wanting to move anywhere else. Slowly, the rest of the house wakes up, joining them. After a while, laughter and smiles become more common - even more so, when Ron, who's not fully awake yet, gets angry at Fred for eating his last piece of toast.

Remus and Sirius stare at the teens from the door for a few seconds, sharing a knowing look as they see Fred stealing glances at Carina wordlessly. His eyes are starry as he looks at her, hands wrapped around his cup for warmth. Though, his heart doesn't seem to need any more of it. The love he has for her is beautiful to watch but it almost throws Sirius off. He's never seen that look in anyone's face. Not since James and Lily.

A smile widens on Remus' lips as he sees one of Fred's hands leave his spot and go for Carina's. The green eyed girl doesn't even think twice as she keeps conversation going, taking his hand in hers, stroking the back of his skin with her thumb. Fred's lips twitch into a loving grin. He laughs at a joke George makes and, without even realising it, he brings Carina's hand to his lips and kisses it gently, feeling the soft, bumpy scarring under his lips. He sets it back down in front of him, enveloping it in both hands. It's almost as if he's protecting his most cherished possession.

Unbeknownst to Remus, Sirius is staring at him in the same way. His grey eyes full of admiration for Remus' gorgeous smile, which he drinks in, leaning into the wall and not taking his gaze off of his husband. Remus looks the same way he did in school, Sirius is certain. Sure, there are a few wrinkles on his face, and a couple of grey hairs here and there. But those deep brown eyes remain the same. "I love you," comes Sirius' voice, low and almost inaudible. So much so, that if Remus wasn't a werewolf, he probably wouldn't have heard him.