chapter 39

NARRATOR'S POV

Carina, Fred, George and Harry are all sitting down at the dinner table while the adults are in the kitchen, still talking quietly and helping Molly cook something up for all of them. "Star, mail!" Calls Remus from the kitchen, making her stand up from het spot at the table.

"I'll get it," says George, springing up on his feet much faster. Carina chuckles, nodding and sitting back down, resting her head on Fred's shoulder. The younger twin walks towards the window where the letters arrived and takes the envelope from the owl's leg. "'S from Hogwarts!" Says George once he returns, sitting on Carina's left side. Before Carina can even think about getting her hands on it, George is tearing it open.

"Hey!" She complains, moving away from Fred's shoulder. "That's why you wanted to get it? Here I thought you wanted to be nice -" George gasps loudly, mouth agape and eyes wide. Fred and Harry continue conversing as Nina continues watching her best friend and taking in his reaction. "- What? What?" Asks Carina, reaching for it and snatching the envelope from his hands, "Oh."

Dear Miss Black,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to serve as Head Girl for the Slytherin House. Your school record shows that you take your responsibilities seriously, you are ambitious and resourceful. Plus, as Prefect, you have exhibited the ability to lead others with ease and dedication.

We, the Slytherin Professors, are certain that you will continue to be a model for your peers and will take this responsibility seriously. Attached to this letter find your Head Girl badge which should be worn in your school robes at all times.

Congratulations,
Professor Snape
Head of House

"Fred! I -" Carina turns to her boyfriend, eyes gleaming with excitement as she inspects the envelope for the badge, which sits right there, shining proudly. Fred glances over at her, interrupting his conversation with Harry. "I'm -"

The door suddenly barges open, revealing a very scared and surprised looking Ron. "What's up with you, Ron?" Asks Fred, raising an eyebrow at his brother, who stays quiet, still, mouth slightly open. "What's the matter?" He asks again, impatiently.

At that, George gets up from his seat, seizing Ron's envelope from his hand and reading over the letter. "Prefect?" He gapes incredulously. "No way!" He says in a hushed tone, patting his brother's back.

"There's been a mistake," says Ron, voice small as he shakes his head. Carina can't help but feel her heart drop at his words. Why would it be a mistake? He's a good student - "No one in their right mind would make me a prefect..." he adds, staring at the ground.

The twins' heads turn to Harry in unison, "We thought it would've been you!" They chorus. "We thought Dumbledore was bound to pick you," says George, indignantly. "Winning the Triwizard and everything!" He points out, making it sound like Ron didn't even really had a shot.

"C'mon now, both of them deserved it," says Carina, cutting them all off. "I'm glad you got it Ron, I'm sure you'll be great," she tells him with an encouraging smile. "You don't need to be prefect to prove you're -"

"- Oh, I know," says Harry lowly, a reassuring grin on his lips. "Congratulations, Ron!" He doesn't look the least bit bothered, nor jealous. The black haired boy actually seems to be happier than Ron at the moment. "What?" Asks Harry once he sees the look on Fred's face.

"Mum's going to be revolting," mutters George, thrusting the paper and the badge back at Ron as though it might contaminate him. The youngest brother walks over to Harry, sitting next to him. Without thinking twice, Harry takes the badge from Ron's hands, inspecting it closely. He'd only ever seen them on Percy.