xvii. an affair of honour

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒏𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

the kiss list, adrian pucey 𝒏𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

chapter seventeen, AN AFFAIR OF HONOUR

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     SINCE THAT ONE EVENING IN THE LIBRARY rude remarks and snide criticism had been non-existent. It wasn't just like it was kept to a minimum, but in actual fact, neither Adrian nor Bianca had insulted one another on the school grounds at all. Not once. It was unheard of, and yet, it felt normal to each of them, like, things that had said to each other before, meant nothing and were completely pointless. Looking back, those comments about how Bianca looked that day, or the fact the Adrian had gotten a mark lower on their History of Magic quiz, were boring. Annoying. Like it was almost weird that they had ever bothered to say them in the first place.

     Also since that one evening, the snow had yet to stop. Maybe that's why Bianca hadn't bothered insulting Adrian; because she had been in a better mood since the snow had begun to fall, and even he couldn't change that. And maybe he hadn't bothered in reply, because he didn't want to intrude on her delight about the weather.

     She had always loved the snow. How it all fell so perfectly on the floor, and carpeted the dead leaves underneath, that were once beautiful oranges and reds, but are now dead due to the change in season and temperature. Yet how such cold climates still managed to be so picturesque and although, had she not had gloves on, her fingers could quite possibly drop off. How the frost kissed her face, turning it all red and flustered. How snowflakes, as they playfully swirled in the glacial air, glowed as if they were lit up from the inside.

     Bianca had such lovely memories as a child, playing in the snow. It wasn't necessarily a rare occasion for the snow to fall in winter, but never when she wanted it to. They weren't any White Christmases for all she can remember, but what she can, is her and her parents each rolling the snow into their own ball of three different sizes; Bianca the smallest, her mother the next and her father the largest, all put together to form a snowman, that they would later embellish with knitted hats and scarves. Then, of course, a reward for the hard work and putting up with such low temperatures, a hot chocolate, later accompanied by a Sunday Roast made up of crispy roast potatoes, juicy turkey and her favourite part, a homemade Yorkshire Pudding.

     It was times like these, wandering around the grounds alone, the snow being crushed beneath her feet's imprints, that made her think: where did it all go wrong?

     The Hogwarts Castle had such potential for utter pleasantness when the snow eventually came. Whether that was Christmas time in December, late January, or Bianca's least favourite time of year, but when the hopeless romantics thrive, in mid-February and Valentine's day, it never ceased to be beautiful. Bianca was so glad that Hogwarts did in fact, live up to that potential that year. And because of this, she was currently enjoying her second walk of the day, at only noon, roving the castle's grounds, in peace.