xxiv. the verge of abandonment

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒏𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

the kiss list, adrian pucey𝒏𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

chapter twenty-four, THE VERGE OF ABANDONMENT

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     MADAM ROSMERTA HAD NOT FORGOTTEN THE two students that she had served that day in Hogsmeade, knowing full well that they should be somewhere else. Lucky for Malcolm and Bianca, she reported it to Professor Dumbledore after that same shift.

     Bianca wasn't one for detentions. She wasn't one to want one.

     A lot of students didn't care for the fact that they were being punished for something they did that was considered bad enough to put them in detention. Most people did the things they did, knowing full well they would get a detention.

     At the time, it hadn't even crossed Bianca's mind that any of this would equate to a week's detention, but when thinking about the concept of the staff of Hogwarts finding out what she and Malcolm had done, detention would surely be the only way out ─ it's not like they could suspend her by sending her home, right? And being expelled was surely off of the table. Right?

     Bianca had not convinced herself that the last one was true when Professor McGonagall knocked on the classroom's door and asked Professor Snape if she could "borrow" Bianca and Malcolm "for a moment".

     She felt sick to her stomach, as she followed the Hufflepuff boy and the Transfiguration teacher out of the dungeons and to her office, where Professor Sprout was already sat.

     Professor McGonagall settled in her chair, as Bianca cautiously took a seat opposite on the other side of the desk ─ Malcolm beside her.

     "So," the Professor began with her quaint, yet seriously stern voice, "Care to tell Professor Sprout and I where you were all day yesterday?"

     Bianca rotated her head to Malcolm almost in desperation, with high hopes that he would come up with some brilliant, improvised excuse to save them, so she wouldn't have to face detention with a guy that she was practically; maybe; she didn't know; wasn't quite sure; yet to conclude - falling in love with.

     Malcolm looked at Bianca his mouth sort of hanging open, waiting for the words to come out, but he only stammered. He returned to the teacher.

     "W-we were, we er we were-" he stuttered.

     "-Sick!" Bianca's expression had sharpened up to an enthusiastic grin.

     "Is that so?" Professor McGonagall questioned. The two of them nodded confidently, Malcolm matching Bianca's hopeful smile. "And you are both fine now?"

     "Yup!" Bianca's grin widened even more, believing that the Professor had bought it, which couldn't be further from the truth.

     "Totally," Malcolm said.