xxviii. that'll bruise

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

the kiss list, adrian pucey𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

chapter twenty-eight, THAT'LL BRUISE

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

AND JUST LIKE THAT, DECEMBER WAS FLYING BY LIKE A WELL folded paper airplane, and Christmas Eve was as clearly in sight, as were the stars at the end of the telescope.

Adrian was dateless and feeling slightly like a lonely wreck, and Bianca was still avoiding the one particular guy who wanted to be her date. And despite her success so far, she knew she'd have to face Malcolm Preece rather soon. And yet, none of that changed the fact that any mention or spotting of anything remotely related to the Hufflepuff house, felt like someone had taken a wrench to her stomach.

All was going swimmingly.

On the positive side of things, Katie Bell and Oliver Wood had officially labeled themselves in a relationship, and Bianca had set Angelina up with a date, that she believed to make a perfect match. Both girls had chosen beautiful dresses, and the idea of going as a lone wolf, actually made Bianca a tad more excited for the ball than she cared to admit.

"Checkmate," she said, as the wooden piece, clattered onto the board, finalizing Adrian's defeat.

Adrian let out a very audible groan, expressing his frustration, "Oh for fu-"

As he swept his arm across the board, knocking a few remaining pieces onto their side, Bianca interjected, before he could finish his sentence, "I'm not sure whether that language is necessary." Adrian huffed again, and Bianca couldn't help but observe how childish he looked with his arms folded, and a far from happy look on his face. Bianca leaned back in her chair, "You need to be less clumsy with your moves. Think ahead. Be more observant." she said.

Adrian's eyes narrowed to a fine point, "Nah, you're just cheating."

Bianca scoffed, "I'd be intrigued to know how I would be doing that Adrian, but I think you're just too much of a sore loser to admit that you're just not quite on my level of expertise, regarding the art of chess." she motioned out to the board before them, the rest of the library silenced with peace, before bringing her arms into a fold.

Adrian pushed off from the back of his chair, and rested his elbows on the desk, "I'm not "quite" on your level?" he repeated her words. "Does that mean I'm approaching it? Does that mean you think I'm improving?" he smiled sarcastically.

Bianca sighed, "I don't find it difficult to admit that yes, Adrian, yes, you have improved."

Adrian put a hand over his heart, his head tilting to one side, "Aw."