xxxvii. birthdays, broom wax & blueberry muffins

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒋𝒂𝒏𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒚, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟑

chapter thirty-seven, BIRTHDAYS, BROOM WAX & BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

DO YOU KNOW THAT FEELING WHEN YOU REALISE THAT NOT EVERYTHING WAS AS GOOD AS IT STARTED OUT? And your stomach is suddenly piled high with this gut-twisting feeling that it may never go back to being as good as it once was?

Bianca does. And it was not a good start to a new year.

January second consisted of staring into space, unwrapping and re-wrapping the present Bianca had made for Adrian for his birthday, and eating obscene amounts of grapes ─ all while not leaving her dorm, unless for a wee.

Adrian wasn't doing much better. He didn't even get to acknowledge that 1993 had arrived, because as the countdown began, he was busy forcing his way out of the stuffiness of the Ravenclaw common room and fleeing to the roof, where he watched the end of the firework show, by himself.

January second was uneventful as well for heartbroken Adrian. No excitement for his birthday was buzzing around inside of him ─ even if he was turning seventeen ─ and he could already tell that it was going to be a very depressing day. And not just because school was starting again, but because he would be forced into close proximity of the girl who rejected him. The most productive thing Adrian did on the day before his seventeenth, was feel sorry for himself. He didn't even listen to music. Not even MJ had the power to make him feel better.

He didn't get much sleep that night. Maybe it was the constant headache he had developed since New Years, or maybe it was the dreading thought that was eating at his brain ─ Potions was first period the next day. What a wonderful birthday gift.

Graham was snoring away as if a bug had crawled up his nose, and was causing him irritation. Cassius was a fidgeter and wouldn't keep still, so the constant sound of sheets rustling wasn't doing well for Adrian's sleeplessness. He thought about going down to the Kitchens and quickly told himself to abandon that idea ─ Bianca likes going down there too, and this time, he wouldn't be best pleased if they ran into each other because they both were having trouble getting to sleep.

Adrian decided to suck it up and stuff a pillow over his head, hoping he'd fall asleep before the sun came up.

The only thing that did make Adrian smile, was the loud cannon of confetti, shiny banner, and birthday wishes the greeted him when he woke up. Everyone had decided to join him, Cassius, and Graham in their dorm, and he was now met with five beading eyes, all peering over the edge of his bed.