xxxviii. jason samuels ✔

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒋𝒂𝒏𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒚, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟑

the kiss list, adrian pucey𝒋𝒂𝒏𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒚, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟑

chapter thirty-eight
number 18: JASON SAMUELS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     "YOU GAVE HIM A FUCKING MIXTAPE?!" Maxine exclaimed incredulously.

     "What's wrong with that?" Bianca asked in response, rather sheepishly. She knew exactly what was wrong with giving Adrian Pucey a mixtape for his birthday. The one that correlates with the one he gifted her for Christmas. The one that is labeled the supposed "most romantic thing" someone could do for another. After she had rejected him (not directly, but she might as well have).

     Maxine scoffed, "Oh, I don't know! Maybe because you broke the poor kid's heart and then proceeded to give him a gift that screamed "I LOVE YOU TOO!"," Maxine stopped mid-hallway, where the two were to disunite ─ Maxine to Potions, and Bianca to History of Magic. "Bianca," her voice went soft and the Gryffindor could already hear what her friend was about to tell her. The same thing that everyone had been telling her for weeks. "I know I'm annoying, and I don't want to force anything on you, but are you sure you don't love this guy?" she cocked her head.

     Something was different about this time. Something was different this time around when one of Bianca's friends hinted at her denial of love for Adrian Pucey. Because this time, it sounded like Maxine actually cared. As if she not only cared for Bianca but for Adrian too. Was Bianca that much of a raging bitch? Could everyone see how cruel she was towards him? No one else knew of Adrian's gift from Bianca, but that doesn't mean it never happened. It did happen, and she has mixed feelings about it. He seemed to like it. He also seemed to hate it. He had shown signs that he was starting to move on. And he also seemed to be showing less of a I-fucking-hate-you-leave-me-alone attitude and that was─

     Adrian was starting to move on. Adrian was starting to move on. Let go. Forget he ever loved Bianca Larsson, which she wasn't as willing to forget. Ignore those feelings and get on with his life, like he was supposed to do. And Bianca was just starting to realize that she didn't want that. She didn't want that at all.

     Bianca stared at the floor, her head yet to be ready to give Maxine an answer, "I don't know."

     That was the first time Bianca hadn't denied that she loved him. Granted, she didn't say "yes, I'm sure I don't love him", and yet Maxine's expressionless face didn't falter. She didn't show any signs that that made her happy. That she was so glad Bianca was finally starting to come to the conclusion that maybe she did love him. Because Maxine didn't like the idea of "unsure". She didn't want Bianca to say "yes, I'm sure I don't love him", but she certainly didn't want the Gryffindor to say "I don't know". Because Maxine cared for Adrian. For some bizarre reason, like it affected her at all like they had had more than two formal conversations alone, Maxine didn't want the boy to get hurt. And for some reason, it didn't matter that her best friend was on the giving end of that pain.