xx. kings and queens

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒏𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

the kiss list, adrian pucey 𝒏𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

chapter twenty, KINGS AND QUEENS

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     ADRIAN HAD NEVER PLAYED CHESS BEFORE and before yesterday, he had never planned on it either.

     Bianca had played chess before, and a lot of it at that. Winning a game of chess, brought as much as a thrill to her, as riding a rollercoaster, did for Muggles. To Bianca, it was a tad more than just a game.

     She had been playing since she was a young girl, her father teaching her to be at the standard she was today. Her Grandfather, who had passed when she was only four, was what was known as a 'Grandmaster', a title given to the best of the best, and, bar The World Champion, it was the highest title a chess player can receive. Her father, therefore, grew up around the game, eating and breathing the rules, his childhood home brandished with awards, books, and multiple boards, and going to competitions for his age group. Never being allowed to forget his father's success, Bianca was naturally brought into the family affiliation. She just wished she was old enough to have remembered her grandfather before he died.

     Before today, Bianca didn't exactly have someone to play with, nor was she counting on Adrian Pucey to be that person. Leo Raywood, her closest companion, never agreed to play with her, due to her competitive drive that was too strong to beat.

     As two o'clock approached, Bianca compiled everything she would need into a tote back that she swung over her shoulder: books, notes her grandfather had left her, and of course, her own board and pieces.

     The library was quiet as per usual, and students were off in their own groups, studying doing homework and it appeared, just like Adrian, everyone had a lot to do and had pushed all of their work till the last day of the week.

     Bianca did not expect Adrian to be on time, nor did she expect to walk in, wander around in order to find a secluded, unoccupied area, and stumble upon the same Slytherin boy, asleep at a desk; using a charms textbook as a pillow. He was so asleep, Bianca could have mistaken him to have been passed out.

     She cautiously approached him, poking at his arm, "Adrian? Psst." she continued to jab at his side, a little harder since she hadn't gotten a response. "Adrian!"

     With her volume like she was practically shouting, a few students now more annoyed, the boy woke up, with a startled jump.