xxxiii. the name of the game

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

the kiss list, adrian pucey𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

chapter thirty-three, THE NAME OF THE GAME

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     "YOU CAN COME AND PLAY IF YOU WANT TO, ADRIAN."

     Adrian's eyes wandered everywhere but Bianca's, "I don't want to intrude or anything."

     Bianca scoffed, "You're too nice. Who said anything about intruding?"

     The pair were stood outside the Gryffindor common room, hair dusted with snow, and noses red like tomatoes after spending an entire afternoon in Hogsmeade together, exchanging gifts and playing chess. And yes, Bianca knows. Who would have guessed?

     Bianca had invited Adrian to spend the evening and the rest of their Christmas day playing board games and more chess, with her and her friends. It was a risky move, considering all of her housemates would now be aware of where she had been all day, but she didn't mind if it meant he would have fun. 

     "Do you want me there?" Adrian asked, skeptical of her answer. It sounded like flirting. It felt like flirting. But deep down, Adrian knew Bianca would never acknowledge it as flirting.

     It was a typical Gryffindor Christmas tradition for her small group of sixth years to drink eggnog and hot chocolate, and argue over the rules of the Muggle entrepreneur game, Monopoly, when it was clear Bianca was right because she knew the game the most (Bianca reckons the reason for their inevitable disagreements is because Fred Weasley can never admit that he isn't very logical when playing a game that involves business and spending). Throwing a Slytherin into the mix may cause problems, but even realizing that, Bianca wasn't sure of her answer.

     Adrian was a lot of fun — Bianca had come to learn. And maybe she didn't like losing at chess, but she sure as hell loved winning Cluedo, and there was no way Adrian Pucey could beat her at a game like that.

     Bianca laughed, untieing the scarf from around her neck, "As I said, you can come in if you want. They won't mind, and I definitely don't. But these halls are cold, and it's a fact that a fire is burning in there, so I'm going to go in," Bianca ignored his question entirely, and now Adrian was even more torn.

     Whilst Bianca stepped up to the portrait of the Fat Lady in the pink dress and stated the password, the door swinging open not long after, Adrian had a lot of questions running through his head. Why did she avoid the question? Was it because the answer was no? Did she ever think of their conversation as flirting? Should he go in, or stick it out and go have no fun with his own friends?