ix. adrian's own personal owl

the kiss list, adrian pucey
𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

the kiss list, adrian pucey𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

chapter nine, ADRIAN'S OWN PERSONAL OWL

✧ ━━━ · ✦ · ━━━ ✧

     IT TURNS OUT, ADRIAN HAD BROKEN HIS femur and was still suffering from a minor concussion, so was going to be in the hospital for a few days. Despite the pain and boredom, he was in fact slightly pleased, as it meant he was out of lessons for a while (obviously he'd have to catch up at some point, but that was beside the point).

     His day's consisted of sleeping in till noon, staring out of the stained glass window directly opposite his bed, and forcing the hospital food down his throat (it was nowhere near as good as the food the great hall provided and Adrian wondered why he wasn't just fed that, instead of what tasted like unedible gunk that Madam Pomfrey served him).

     He had a few visitors: Cassius came once, Graham twice and he hadn't even seen Marcus since he was in the air at the match. All they talked about was practice and it made Adrian miss normal life even more. So maybe he was beginning to think that lessons would be much more enjoyable. Well at least bearable. Bianca didn't have a broken femur or concussion. She wasn't going to visit him ─ why would she? She was in lessons and the idea of her being somewhere he wasn't, made him miss the snide comments they would exchange. Or maybe he just missed her. Seeing her walk around the school. Seeing her concentrate so much during potions. Seeing her laughing in the great hall. Why couldn't she have broken her femur as well?

     Bianca on the other hand quite liked not having him there. She could easily focus on the practical work in potions without Adrian constantly pestering her to 'do this' and 'do that'; she could peacefully pass on her own. She didn't have to come up with any snarky comments to say to him in the corridors whenever she passed him, because he was stuck in the same wing, all hours of the day. She almost felt sorry for him. She described her days as 'Adrian free'. And she liked it.

     Leo and Graham were unsuccessfully brewing the Oculus potion beside Bianca, who couldn't have done it more perfectly.

     "The Oculus Potion is a potion that has the ability to restore the drinker's eyesight, including counteracting the effects of a Conjunctivitis Curse," Snape explained not long before they were sent away with their instructions.

     Adrian wasn't bad at potions, he just wasn't as good as Bianca and always felt the need to annoy her during times when they were meant to be brewing. But now, she had never completed a potion with such ease and speed.

     She smiled at the sight of the fusion of liquids melt into a deep orange, just like the textbook said it should.

     "Hey, how did you do that?" Leo questioned, puzzled, as he too now stared at her cauldron.