Chapter 29: Snowflakes

The moment Dalena was about to leave with her bags though, she was stupefied to see someone in the main hall entrance.

It was impossible to ignore the figure as she had numerous luggage with her and staff behind her. The woman also had an imposing aura around her, making her seem like an important figure.

Dalena turned away, not knowing where to go as it was impossible to not pass by the woman. If she simply walks pass without greeting, for sure she would get in trouble as the woman seemed to be of high status.

Before Dalena could even make her decision though, she was approached by that woman.

Dalena widened her eyes a little as the woman walked towards her with a haughty expression.

Now that Dalena sees her closer, the woman reminds her someone but she couldn't pinpoint it out. From a subjective point of view though, Dalena could see that the woman was quite attractive. She had well-defined features with her brown hair and green eyes. The woman could also pass as a supermodel, as she was around 5'10" and had that type of body that supermodels had.

Even though Dalena had no idea who she was, she bowed her head and greeted the woman.

"Good morning, Ma'am." she said in a simple voice.

However, quite instantly, another staff replied to her instead.

"The proper address should be 'Lady Chantelle'. She is the Duke's only sibling. Were you not trained?" the staff replied in an arrogant tone.

"Pardon me." Dalena replied in a small tone, to which the staff rolled her eyes to.

Meanwhile, all this time, Chantelle still didn't speak but was looking at Dalena intently, examining her.

'It's really what mother said, huh? I've only seen that certain woman in pictures but seeing this girl in front of me now, it's like they're the same person. I don't even have to think twice to see that they look exactly alike.' Chantelle secretly thought.

Afterwards, noticing that Dalena finally stared back at her, she only looked at her with dull eyes and raised her eyebrows even more at her.

"You're that little bastard's new nanny?" Chantelle finally asked.

Dalena, quite surprised as Chantelle referred Little George as 'little bastard' like the Dowager Duchess does, could only nod as response. Now that she thinks about it too, Chantelle looks a like a younger version of the Dowager Duchess.

When Chantelle saw her response, she only frowned and expressed her disdain even more.

"If you're his nanny, then just do your job with that little bastard. Don't even think of coveting my brother. No matter what you do, you can never stand beside him. You're just a dirt, you got that? You're not worthy enough as you don't have the right background, power and education. What my brother needs is someone who can support him, not some gold-digging slut." Chantelle said maliciously, looking down on Dalena.

As Chantelle threw those insults, there was a heavy feeling within Dalena's heart. She felt aggrieved that she couldn't do anything, as this was her employer's family and she had no right to talk back to her even though Chantelle was stepping down on her completely.

Honestly, Dalena did not expect that Chantelle would speak so explicitly and say even more hurtful words than the Dowager Duchess. Is this really what the Duke's family members thought of her?

With that thought, Dalena quickly remembered last night's events and frowned even more. The heavy feeling in her heart grew even larger, making her feel hurt.

It was the Duke who kissed her, alright! Not her! And when did she ever say that she wanted to covet the Duke? From the very start, she knows that coveting someone like Luke was like coveting for the heavens.

'Did they know what happened last night? That's why Lady Chantelle is reacting that rudely?' Dalena couldn't help but think.

In the end though, Dalena could only lower her head down as Chantelle ranted more about her brother and kept making sneaky remarks about Dalena.

"Lady Chantelle, breakfast for you is now ready." the estate staff announced.

Thankfully, because of that announcement, Chantelle finally left Dalena so she could finally pass through and leave.

More than anything, Dalena just felt relieved because of that as she also avoided encountering Luke and Little George.

Right now, all she needed was really a break from everything. Especially after being insulted like that, which person would not be hurt and feel bad about one's self?

As a response, Dalena could only sigh and clench her fists at the unjust she has received.

'Maybe I should just resign, after all? It's too overwhelming for me to be there, especially if Lady Chantelle would be around.' Dalena mused.

But when snowflakes started to fall out of nowhere as she walked in the cold streets of London, Dalena let out a bitter smile and shook her head.

Snow...

It was always something that her mother wanted to see. Since they lived in a tropical country, all they had was summer all year long. And so, to see snow was a dream come true for her mother.

'It's too bad that you're not here to see the snow, Mum.' Dalena said to herself.

In the end, with the sudden snow that made Dalena remember her mother, all her worries and grievances disappeared gradually.

After all, she couldn't just give up that easily, right? It's crazy just to think about it as she already got this far. She took a big leap to go work in another country all by herself, all to build her humble dream and finally move on from the past.