Chapter 5: Dazed

"Your Grace?"

It was already the third time that Hamish have addressed Luke, but his eyes still won't leave Dalena.

Even though Dalena have been trying to calm herself down, she was puzzled herself. Isn't the little boy's father a little odd?

Dalena was already thinking all sorts of things, from how the blond man could be looking down on her because of her ethnicity and the way she is dressed. Maybe, they had regretted inviting her.

Eventually, Dalena could not take it anymore.

"Excuse me sir, is there something wrong?" she said softly.

As if Luke was hypnotised, he blinked a few times before arching his brows and staring at Dalena again. This time though, his mouth widened a little.

Luke was briefly aware of how ridiculous he looked right now, even getting a clueless look from his son. But for him, he was already trying very hard to hold on to his last piece of sanity.

After all, how could it be? How could a woman like that appear in front of him? Even with the voice, it's exactly the same...

He was once again distracted from his thoughts when a little hand tugged his coat a little.

"Papa, are you okay?"

It was his son, Little George, who has been staring at him with wary eyes.

Luke blinked a little more before smiling at his son and patting his head a little. Finally, just with his son's voice, he was redirected back to reality.

The things that were going on in his head right just now... they are too ridiculous. It really can't be... maybe the heavens just wanted to joke with him.

That person he was thinking of, he knew that she was already gone a long time ago...

Now looking more clearly at Dalena once again, Luke finally noticed the little details about her and finally convinced himself. 'The body, the clothing, the way of talking... it's not the same at all. I must've been overworking myself too much to have a muddled brain. How ridiculous.'

With that, Luke cleared up his throat a little and gathered the courage to finally talk with the woman in front of her.

"I apologise for being rude, Miss. I spaced out a little. Must be because I did not get enough sleep from last night." he said politely.

Dalena looked at him momentarily with a little probing expression before smiling, concealing the mixed feelings she had.

"Oh it's alright, Sir. Thank you for inviting me."

Luke's mind was still a little hazy but as he looked as Hamish who was mouthing 'Young Master' to him, his mind got clearer a little.

Right... he did this for his little son didn't he? He wanted to do something for him. Also, he genuinely wanted to thank the person that saved him but he did not expect that the person would show in the form of the one in front of him...

"Miss, I want to thank you for saving my son. Even though it was only a short encounter, I reckon that my son have grown quite fond of you, actually."

"No worries. I only did what I thought was right." Dalena replied, smiling again at the little boy.

Bzzz!

Luke flinched a little and instinctively reached out for his phone.

Most days, he would frown upon looking at the caller's name, which is one of the most troublesome business comrades he ever had. However, in this type of situation, he was rather thankful for it.

Although he kind of felt bad, he knew he needed a getaway. He needed to go out and clear his mind a little.

Luke cleared his throat a little before speaking.

"Sorry, could I take this call for a while?" he asked Dalena, not having the courage to fully look at her in the eye.

Dalena, on the other hand just nodded and with that, Luke got out of his seat and walked away, followed by Hamish.

They were only a few steps away, but it seems like George and Dalena were already talking animatedly. It almost seemed like Luke and Hamish's presence were not really needed.

When Luke caught himself staring too much again, he shook his head and finally ended the annoying buzzing coming from his phone. He used it as an excuse but he never had the intention to answer it. After all, with the state of his mind right now, he had no idea if he can do anything for today.

"Hamish..." Luke said in a little voice.

The butler's senses alerted a little.

"Yes, Your Grace?" Hamish replied in a formal tone.

"Give the lady more reward. She seems like a nice person." Luke ordered in a monotone voice.

Luke knew it was irrational and he made such a weak excuse but he just couldn't explain it. It was something that he decided base on impulse, something that he hasn't done in a very long time.

Although taken a back by the sudden request of his master, Hamish nodded sheepishly, following his orders.