Chapter 19: Odd Findings

Fortunately, it seemed like Luke's prayers were heard by the heavens, as the operation became successful. However, until now, Dalena was still in an unconscious condition.

"Was it really necessary to operate on her for that long? It would be nice if it's explained properly." Luke told the surgeon in a firm tone.

Upon facing Luke, the surgeon maintained a calm temperament. But inwardly, he was surprised that an aristocrat like Luke would consult him about a mere employee.

"Your Grace, if the operation wasn't done, the patient would probably gone now. It was absolutely necessary as the patient already accumulated several brain traumas. In fact, while were analysing her MRI, we found other things that we couldn't decipher just yet."

As the surgeon explained more about Dalena's condition, Luke couldn't help but just be silent to collect his thoughts.

Just like the surgeon, he found it very odd as well. Based from the private investigation he initiated on Dalena, he found that Dalena has actually never been admitted to a hospital before. How could she have multiple brain injuries from the past?

Perhaps, the special agency he hired to investigate was not meticulous enough?

"Thankfully, she will be fine after the surgery and there will be no need for physiotherapy for recovery. She just needs at least 1 month of rest in order to recover. However, I highly suggest that she comes back here routinely in order for us to analyse her brain condition and MRI results as well."

After listening to the surgeon's advice thoroughly, Luke sheepishly nodded before going back to the room to see Dalena.

As he went there, his warm melted a bit upon seeing the scene.

His little son, George, was napping beside the unconscious Dalena while holding her hand, most likely waiting for her to wake up.

'You have to wake up soon, Miss. Please be well.' Luke thought.

After feeling relieved from the scene he has witnessed, Luke went out and found another reports to deal with again. This time, it was from his own staff.

"Your Grace, we have gathered a new report." one of the staff spoke.

Luke, sitting on a chair in the hospital's private room, nodded at the staff as a signal for him to speak.

"The whole situation that day seemed to be very odd. First, the school extended the invitation to the event to outsiders when it does not usually do so as it is an exclusive school. Then, from the security footage that we found, we can definitely conclude that what happened to Ms. Dalena Angeles was not an accident."

Upon hearing the last words, Luke's brows raised a little.

"It seemed like the crowd deliberately targeted her, making her fall into the lake. More so, it was just too coincidental that there was no other people when she fell into the deep lake. Then, as if to make sure that she would be gone, a large rock was hit into her head. If it wasn't for the Young Master looking back to look for her and his hidden guards following him, I am afraid that she would not be saved in time..."

At this point, while hearing the report, Luke's heart just felt too heavy. Who dares to do this? They even dare to target her, a mere nanny of an aristocratic kid. Why do they always hurt his people?

Luke closed his eyes, massaging his temples in order to maintain the temperament of a Duke. If he wasn't trained to this ever since he was young, he was afraid that he would be screaming right now and breaking things due to his frustration.

"More so, Your Grace..." one of the staff spoke up.

However, compared to the detailed and straightforward report earlier, the staff was avoiding eye contact with Luke. In fact, he was even fidgety.

At the lighter side of things, it looked like a funny sight as that staff was a very bulky man who was even taller than Luke who was already at 6'2".

"Go on, speak." Luke commanded.

"But, Your Grace... this thing we found... it's related to your personal relationships..." the staff replied.

"Then the more you should report it."

Before speaking, the staff took a deep breath in order to gain courage. As if that worked, he finally locked eye contact with Luke.

"We got leads and it seems like the people arranged to be in the crowd that day are all related to the Dowager Duchess' assistant..."