Chapter 44: Daydreams

Turns out, it was not only Dalena who had misunderstood Luke's intentions.

Luke did think that Little George was acting a little stiff, although the little boy would still smile and talk to him as usual.

However, right now, they were at a nearby park. Dalena was cooking some grilled meat for them while the father and son were playing chess.

"You know Papa, who is the new lady staying at the estate? Why is she staying with us?"

Luke made his move before answering Little George.

"That lady is our family friend and she's close to Chantelle too. Was she being nice to you, bud?" Luke asked.

"She's okay, but I don't like her."

Little George didn't even look at his father as he hastily replied that. While making his chess move against him, he had musings of his own.

'I don't like her 'cause she's Auntie Chantelle's friend. My teacher said something the other day, about birds of the same feather flocking together.'

Luke was momentarily surprised at his little son's boldness, but let out a grin instead.

"Georgie, don't say that. She's alright. If you think there's something going on between me and her, there's none, okay bud?" Luke told his son.

Little George gave perfunctory nod to Luke, not totally acknowledging him.

"I already promised you right, I won't hurt that woman." Luke murmured to his son.

All this time, it really felt like Little George was Dalena's son instead. Why did he seem to be the stepfather who's winning over the son? Pfft.

"Okay. I will continue to believe in your promise to me, Papa. But sorry 'cause I couldn't help but worry for Dalena as well. I never had a mama but she is like one to me."

"Mmm... Don't stress too much. Just focus on growing up well. Papa is still here, working hard to protect you and her."

Little George nodded again at Luke while lazily placing his next chest move. After a few turns between them though, he spoke again.

"Papa, I also just noticed... Why don't you ever call Dalena by her name?"

Luke was about to put his chess move, but he froze mid-air. It's a question that he'd never thought he'd been ask by anyone.

Why was his little son so clever and observant? It's almost scary. He could pick up things more easily than most adults do.

"It just doesn't feel right. Maybe because I prefer it if I call her 'baby' or 'darling' instead." Luke cheekily replied, masking his stiffness.

Thankfully, Little George didn't seem to notice his father's awkwardness. However, he still frowned.

"Calling her 'baby'? Isn't that too childish... You called me the same when I was younger, Papa."

Laughing at his son's innocence, Luke realised that he couldn't even focus on their chess game at all. Just a few more moves and his little son would beat him.

"Haha!! Bud, it can also be used as a nickname for someone you like. She's someone I want to cherish and protect, so..."

Little George still couldn't understand the idea behind it but still gave a small 'okay' to his father. It doesn't matter, in this round of chess, he's going to win against him.

"Yes! I won against you, Papa! Checkmate!" Little George screamed after a while.

Luke chuckled at his son's cheery expression. He'd gladly lose more games just to see his little son be that happy.

At the same time, Dalena was walking over to them.

"The meat's all ready now. We can eat." she said in a sweet voice.

Quite instantly, both the father and son were enamoured by her greeting. They didn't bother to clean up the chess game they had been playing and faced her instantly.

***

Meanwhile, at the Grosvenor estate, Chantelle has been spending her boring day by doing golf. It was one of the best ways to exercise and calm her mind at the same time.

Not only Eleanor had something to do today, but Luke also took his son and Dalena out so Chantelle really had no choice but to hang out with herself.

Speaking of her brother, Chantelle thinks that her brother is absolutely crazy.

'I am convinced that my brother has gone nuts. I understand why Nori went out today, because Brother isn't even paying attention to her at all! Everyday, he would go out with that slut and bastard. I even saw them holding hands once while he was carrying the rascal. Is that how he treats a mere nanny? Do they think they're teenagers to do cheesy stuff like that? Fucking lunatic. Why can't he think straight?'

Chantelle took a deep breath before hitting another ball.

'I don't even think Mother knows that it has escalated to this extent... Maybe because it's the same face, that's why Brother is so crazy about her. They're both delusional at this point, thinking what they have is real. Brother sees her as a substitute and that slut really believes that Brother genuinely likes her.'

Chantelle was about to move places when she suddenly heard someone speak to her.

"Chan, your brother went out again with his son and the nanny?"

Chantelle was surprised when someone spoke to her but expression changed quickly upon realising who it is.

"Oh my goodness! Nori, I'm so glad you came back early. I was bored to death. But yeah, my crazy brother did that again. I don't even know if he's doing his business work properly, honestly. Why does he have so much free time?"

Eleanor nodded, quietly agreeing with Chantelle.

"I was quick because I just had to get something from our estate. I didn't know that your brother and the rest would leave so early, though..."

"Hmmp! If you could only see that woman's face, Nori! She's too overconfident now because she thinks my brother really likes her. She doesn't know her place at all!"

"Indeed..." Eleanor agreed outwardly for the first time.

Chantelle smiled as Eleanor finally agreed with her. However, she frowned quickly at the thought of Dalena.

"But we should've expected this from the start, right? She's a foreigner. Foreigners like her are just gold-digging bitches. If only I could do something to get my brother out of his stupidity, ugh!"

Quite unexpectedly, Eleanor let out a snicker.

'The situation is really quite funny and Luke's acting a bit too silly. It'd be good if they're given a wake-up call from their daydreams.' Eleanor mused secretly, masking her delighted expression from Chantelle.