Chapter 48: Sly Fox

Being the sly fox she is, of course the Dowager Duchess knew about Eleanor's hidden grudge for Luke.

That's why even though it was her son, she didn't do anything to protect him even though Eleanor and her family were blatantly backstabbing Luke in their aristocratic circle.

Rather than harm, it did better to the Dowager Duchess as she still felt like she was in control of their family. For her, she was still one step higher than Luke because he had a rather messy image in their circle.

"Chantelle is fun. She's so naïve though. Surprisingly, she's the most innocent one in your family." Eleanor declared as she sipped on some tea.

The Dowager Duchess merely looked at her before frowning her brows at the tablet she was holding.

Right now, she had more important things to deal with but Eleanor appeared out of nowhere to pay her a visit.

After sipping tea once again, Eleanor put it down and nonchalantly stared at the Dowager Duchess.

"So now, Dowager Duchess Grosvenor... I've done what you told me, right? Just make the new nanny stay away from Luke. I won't tell you the full details since it seems like you don't care whatever means is it, as long as I separate them."

"Okay, good." Dowager Duchess simply replied, but in an impatient tone.

"I don't think they slept together yet, so I did quite good, didn't I? I avoided you having to deal with something if Luke has another illegitimate child as well. Why does that kind of face always bring trouble to your family?" Eleanor continued.

"Indeed, who knew such a plain face could bring so much unluckiness to my family?" Dowager Duchess replied, lowering her eyes at the notion.

Eleanor nodded and smiled widely at the Dowager Duchess.

"So now that I've done my job, could I please get my part of the deal now?" Eleanor directly asked.

The Dowager Duchess was looking at her tablet again before she looked up at the demanding woman in front of her.

"I told you I would eventually give it to you, right? Things are not just good right now so give me time. I just need to find this one person and it has been making me stressed for a long time now."

Although Eleanor was quite upset because she still wouldn't get the stocks that the Dowager Duchess promised, she quickly changed her reaction to suck up to her.

"Finding someone? Want me to help? I have a lot of friends too, you know." Eleanor offered to help.

The Dowager Duchess shook her head quickly and sipped tea.

"No. If I couldn't find that person even with the abilities that I have, then what more if you're the one searching?" The Dowager Duchess declared in a snobbish tone.

Instead of answering back, Eleanor smiled as she secretly clenched her fists.

'As always, this old lady is such a bitch. If I didn't need the stocks as back-up for my future since my family's business is unstable right now, do you think I would bother even dealing with you? No. If you take too long with my payment, don't blame me if I turn to the other side...'

Unaware of Eleanor's dark thoughts, the Dowager Duchess continued to worry about a certain thing...

***

On the other hand, there was currently a disaster in the Duke's office.

Moments ago, Luke became conscious again and walked out of Dalena's room to go to his office.

The moment he got in, he could not control himself and destroyed everything he saw in there.

Antique vases, paper works he had to read, economic books he had to learn from...

It was a shock for everyone, especially to Hamish, who has been an aide to Luke for a very long time.

After Luke saw the mess that he made, he sat on his chair and breathed deeply.

The next second, he picked up a cigar from his pocket and puffed smoke out of it.

'I am not an immature person. I have to calm down and breathe.' Luke thought, closing his eyes to calm his self.

But somehow, no matter how hard he tried and no matter how much breathing techniques he used, the anger and frustration he felt could not be dissipated.

In fact, it hasn't even sunk into him that Dalena left... just like that.

Was it really his fault after all? For being attracted to her because she resembled the woman he loved the most?

With that thought, Luke quickly shook his head.

He swore that even if he loses everything, he was not lying.

He had real feelings for Dalena. Even though he was attracted to her at first because of the resemblance of looks, it was everything else other than looks that he fell for.

But because of the shock upon seeing those pictures again and Dalena finding out about his past without him being prepared, Luke could not explain it properly for her to understand.

He's not perfect. He could only do so much.

"Your Grace! Your Grace!" Hamish shouted from outside.

Upon hearing that damned title, Luke got irritated once again and slammed his table loudly.

"No one come here! Not even you, please." Luke managed to say in a formal tone, controlling his irritation.

Meanwhile, behind the door, Hamish felt goosebumps at Luke's voice.

If this was any other situation, Hamish would have not been bold enough to disturb Luke while he's upset. Especially when he saw how angry Luke was, he knew it would not be smart to talk to him at all.

However, the matter right now... it could not be held off.

Hamish gulped before he spoke bravely.

"But Your Grace, you just received a personal letter and it seemed quite important. It is addressed to you and on the cover, it simply said 'Yarra Kenes'."

Luke's expression was drooping upon hearing Hamish explain but the moment he heard that familiar name, his expression changed quickly.

As if that name was the cure to get out Luke of his frustrated state, he sobered up quickly. Everything he was feeling and thinking beforehand were all gone.

It has been a while since he last heard that name. Who was bold enough to send him a letter like that?

"Come in and please put it in my table." Luke simply commanded.

Quietly following the Duke's order, Hamish timidly put the thick mail into Luke's table before walking off silently.

Once Hamish left, Luke gazed at the letter with sharp eyes. He examined the handwriting of the cover but he still could not pinpoint which person would send him this.

Then, as he was opening up the letter, Luke couldn't help but feel his heart beating wildly. He could not understand why he felt anxious and excited at the same time.

Opening the letter, he read it word by word carefully.

"Dear Duke Grosvenor,

You must know what happened seven years ago to Miss Yarra Kenes.

Your mother is trying to find me and have me silenced but my conscience would not let me off without explaining the truth to you.

Please meet me at this address in secret, 5 p.m. tomorrow:

13 Winchester St, London

Yours truly,

- T. Coleman"

_________

Author's Note: Accidentally uploaded first part of this chapter earlier! I apologise, I uploaded the same but with the second part now :)