Chapter 18: Conflicted

Once Luke heard of the situation, it was already a few hours late. Inwardly, he cursed his assistants for thinking that it was only mundane matter to report to him so he could not go right away.

When he entered the hospital, what welcomed him was the sight of his son crying outside the operation room. Thankfully, his trusted butler, Hamish was there to accompany the little boy.

Aside from him, he could not really think of anyone else to accompany his son in this place.

"How long is the operation going to be? Why is she being operated in the first place?" Luke asked.

Hamish observed that Luke had a little bit of panic in his tone but dismissed the thought right away.

"I am also not sure, Your Grace. I think it is good to ask the doctor later. So far, Young Master and I have been waiting here for four hours already. When we came, they just rushed her straight away to the operation room."

Upon hearing Hamish's brief explanation, Luke frowned as he massaged his temples. How could something like this happen? No matter what, she is one of his people, his employee. More so, in a way, the relation with her is a little personal as she is dealing directly with his son.

It appears as there is no other option, so all Luke could do was to sit down next to his son and hug him.

Finally realising his father was there, Little George didn't hesitate but to sit on his father's lap and bury his head there.

"It's all my fault Papa. I... I... told her to watch me at the competition. I also cannot compete yet but I just told Mr. Monsey if he would let me because I want to show Dalena... I'm sorry." Little George explained between his sobs.

Seeing how painful his son's cries were, Luke was naturally affected. He was not good at comforting people but for his son, he will try to.

"It's not your fault, Georgie... No one wanted this to happen, okay?" Luke comforted.

Little George softened his sobs a little and sniffled a bit. "But... but... Dalena, she will be okay, right, Papa?"

Luke didn't know why, but his mouth was drooped a bit at that question. He didn't know what mixed feelings he had.

"Of course." Luke eventually said.

With the assurance from his father, Little George finally let out a little smile and not long after, he slept in his father's arms.

Luke pinched Little George's nose while he was asleep and positioned him in a better position, as his head was now sleeping on Luke's lap.

While just watching Little George sleep and waiting for the updates about the operation, Luke's rational mind told him to utilise the time to read the paperworks he hasn't gone over yet.

However, at this moment, it seems like he has no rationality yet. He did not know why he had very conflicted feelings. It feels like something heavy was weighing on his heart. He shouldn't be that affected since she was an employee, right?

More so, what is strange is Luke is having a déjà vu moment. Somehow, during this situation, he is being reminded of the moment years ago when his certain person was also in a situation like this.

The smell of the hospital... the panic inside the operation room... the probability of someone losing their lives there...

Is it a déjà vu as well because they have similar faces?

Luke felt like he was going crazy just overthinking about the situation.

But upon thinking about that woman possibly losing her life on that operation room like that certain someone, Luke cannot help but shiver.

He could no longer lie to himself and push his feelings aside by being rational.

At first, of course the attraction could not be avoided since that woman does really look similar to the certain someone he had in the past. He thought it would go away as she tries to know Dalena as he would find out that they are completely different except for the face.

However, it seems like he set a trap for himself because gradually, he started liking her for who she was, not because she looked like that certain someone.

What is this clownery? Was it really possible? Luke never thought that he would ever like someone again aside from that certain someone.

But even so, Luke admits that he is still confused. Is it certain that he really likes Dalena? Or is it because Dalena's face reminds her of that certain someone, so he couldn't help but like her?

Whatever, honestly.

No matter what, Luke thought that the only thing that mattered now was that woman is safe. If she is safe, it is more than enough. He would figure out the rest afterwards.