Chapter 31: The Foundation

As the father and son played with each other for a little bit, they were soon called by a staff to remind them of their appointment.

Holding his son's hand, Luke walked through the halls of the estate with a calm expression.

He didn't seem surprised when he heard conceited voices on the lounge area.

"Right, Mother. When I was in Paris, I found this-"

The voice didn't continue speaking as she noticed the father and son duo entering the room.

"It's been a while, Brother." Chantelle greeted.

Luke only nodded at her, but couldn't help the glare passing through his eyes. Aside from Hamish's message, he also got a report from one of the bodyguards. It was said that Chantelle confronted Dalena before she left and even threw heavy insults to her.

With that, Luke blamed himself for not getting up early because he couldn't protect Dalena from his rude little sister that takes too much after his mother.

"Your sister is just greeting you, why do you have to be so rude? And you did not even greet me. Where are your manners?" the Dowager Duchess hissed at Luke.

As if he was already bored, Luke only looked mindlessly at the Dowager Duchess.

"Good afternoon, Dowager Duchess and Lady Chantelle." Little George suddenly spoke in a formal tone.

Even though they were technically his aunt and grandmother, Little George never once referred them in familiar terms.

He briefly remembered referring them in more familiar terms when he was younger, but he was dismissed heavily by both of them so now, he only refers them by their titles.

If Little George were to be honest, he didn't really like his grandmother and aunt. When his father was away for a second, they would start saying mean things to the little boy. Then when his father was there, they would say mean things about his father.

All in all, only bad things and insults spurts out of their mouths.

That's why, Little George actually did not like the holidays season just after his birthday. Holidays meant seeing these two people and attending events with the people in the aristocratic circle.

Even though his father was holding his little hand proudly, he felt more like a burden to him. Little George feels like he's embarrassing his father and it's better if he's not there so people would not throw judgmental looks at them.

As usual, the Dowager Duchess and Chantelle only glanced at Little George and did nothing else. Even before, they always treated the little kid coldly, as if he was not a part of their family.

"Why are you always bringing him to our formal functions? Even I remember that I had to wait until I was 8 years old to go with Father, Mother and you." Chantelle said in a malicious tone.

"He just turned 7 yesterday." Luke managed to reply in a normal voice.

"Well, I don't care but my point is, you've been bringing him since he was younger when you were established as the new duke. You're not exactly following the protocols." Chantelle said in a know-it-all tone.

"So? I never asked your opinion about what I do with my son. Stop meddling with my affairs." Luke replied as he glared at his sister.

"Hmmph!" Chantelle glared back at her brother.

At the sight of her son and daughter fighting each other like they always do, the Dowager Duchess felt her head ache. Why were things always this way?

"Can you two stop acting like you're still in your primary school years? We are going to our family's foundation and attend several events so we have to be formal and civilised." the Dowager Duchess said in a formal tone.

"I understand, Mother." Chantelle quickly replied.

Luke on the other hand, didn't say anything but only held Little George's hand tighter.

He would not even give his mother any face as he was still wary of her and he still couldn't forgive her for pulling out a scheme on Dalena.

Only if his preparations were already set, Luke would ditch the 'family' events he had to go to and perhaps, just go on a holiday with Little George and use it an excuse to take Dalena with them?

At that thought, Luke felt annoyed at himself. It seems like now, with every matter, he just couldn't stop thinking of her.

***

The first thing on their agenda was to visit their foundation, which is a charity built on their family name.

Because Luke has been the duke for around 4-5 years now, he was the main character at the event as everyone recognised him.

The Dowager Duchess and Chantelle on the other hand, were only considered as side characters.

However, what irritated the Dowager Duchess wasn't that. It was because it seems like every year, Luke has been decreasing her and Chantelle's exposure on the charity and increasing his bastard son's exposure instead.

Actually, even on the foundation's website, it is the little bastard's face that is plastered all over the site.

'What does he think he's doing?' the Dowager Duchess thought maliciously in her mind.

For her, she thinks that her son is really derailed. Why put that bastard son on such a high value? As long as she was alive, there can never be a way for that bastard son to be the heir of the Grosvenor group and the ducal title.

Moreover, it's not even worth thinking about in the first place because that bastard kid's mother is already gone, right?

The Dowager Duchess could only droop her eyes and glare as she glanced at Luke and Little George posing for a photo being taken by a professional photographer.

At the mention of Little George, the Dowager Duchess also recalls the maid that was recently fired at the estate, Andrea.

'It's such a shame that she is too delusional and reckless. She could've been quite useful at hitting two birds in one stone, both the bastard kid and that dirt woman.' the Dowager Duchess thought.

Although she had no connection to whatever Andrea was doing, she was one step ahead of her son.

She already knew what Andrea was doing from the start so she would pick nannies that are actually easily manipulated to make the job easier for Andrea.

Speaking of which, the Dowager Duchess thought she would get high blood pressure if she sees the 'doppelganger nanny' once again so it was good news for her that Dalena was not around and her son didn't insist on bringing that useless woman along.

'I still got time...' The Dowager Duchess thought, her expression darkening.