Chapter 8 💨

Sky's POV

I see Stel waiting for me. Riven and I make our way down to her. She is typing away on her phone. I go sit on her right and Riven on her left. "What do you think Stel?" She looks up from her phone for a brief moment. "About what?" I take a swing at my waterbottle. "Silva. How does he seem to you?"

She looks over to him. Shrugs her shoulder. "Fine." She turns back to her phone. Continue to type. "There is Stella coming through with the zero effort diagnosis." I look at Riven and she looks back at him too. "Yeah well I've got two people to support here.  One of which your ignoring for a week now."

I say nothing. I'm not getting into the middle of this thing between them. I'm not getting in the middle of him and Ava either. Messy. "Are you training later or are we hanging out before the party?" I open my top. My mind is not anywhere near the party right now. I look over to Silva again.

"Sky. His fine. Professor Harvey still has him on his am bag right ?" I nod but then I counter her reason. "Yeah but that is just to manage his symptoms. He won't get better untill they've killed the burned one that attacked him." My jacket is also an irritation right now.

"And they will. There are people looking for it. It's not going to get away from every fairy and specialist from the other world." She is back at her phone again. I can see Riven is giving her a look. She puts it down again. "I've got to get to class okay." She kisses my cheek and walks away.

"She must be mind blowing right or does she do weird shit with her tongue?" I look at Riven. Where the hell is he coming from. "What are you talking about ?" He shrugs his shoulder. I look back at him. "I'm just trying to figure out why the fuck you started things up with her again."

I look away. I'm not in the mood for his comments right now. "Yeah she's crazy hot but the emphasis is squarely on crazy." I whip my head at him. "What about you and Ava?" He looks at me and then at the ground. "What about it?" I turn to face him fully. He's not looking up from the ground. "Why are you ignoring her after you were there for her ? That's fucked up man."

He looks back at me. Immediately. "I know you think you're not good enough for her. I know you think she doesn't care about you half as much as you care about her and yeah don't deny it. You care about her." He still keeps his eyes down. Picks up his stuff. "She'll do perfectly fine on her own." Just before he walks away I grab his wrist. "She's not. I've never seen her spiral like this."

Ava's POV

In the cafeteria I wear my earphones. Not in the mood for any chatter. I feel like the world is closing in on me. Terra and Dane comes to sit with me. Terra across from me and Dane next to me. I don't look up. I just continue to play with my food.

"Are they sharing an apple ? That's so weird." I look over to where she is referring to. I see Riven with his arm over Beatrix shoulder. Hers around his waist. "I know right. Apparently she is also a huge nerd." I can feel Terra's eyes on me.

I turn back to my food. She knows I don't actually listen to music right now. It's just for the show. "Riven has questionable taste." Can they please just stop talking about him. "Maybe but I'm not sure they're actually really together. They invited me to the party tonight."

That's it. I stand up. Terra tries to stop me but I'm out of the cafeteria before she can. I need to find a way not to feel this much pain. My dad I'm busy losing. Riven I've lost to a fucking first year. I bump into Sky. "Hey, you okay?" I just nod. He pulls me into a hug. "You don't have to be strong for me. I'm going to see him. Wanna come ?"

I nod a d we go to professor Harvey's greenhouse. "How bad is it, Dad?" He pulls his left arm through the sleeve. He winches in pain. He can't even answer me. I feel how Sky's fingers slip in mine. Squeeze my hand. "Is professor Harvey going to up your dose ?" He breathes heavily. Doesn't look up at us.

"He said he'll keep you on it untill .." That's when he pushes up from the bench. "Untill he can't anymore." I help him get up. Sky offers to take some of the training over. "What's the status, Dad?" He turns. He uses the table to keep balance. Not wanting to take more of my help. He sits down.

"They've tracked it 14 kilometers north from here. They'll engage it soon." Sky crosses his arms over his chest. I place my hand on his shoulder. He's in so much pain. "When they do they'll.." He cuts Sky off. "I have all the confidence that they'll complete the mission. They'll kill it. The only question is when."

I look at him. He's not looking at us. He's hiding something. "What do you mean, Dad?" He's looking at us. Slowly. "The infection is spreading quickly now. When it reaches my heart." Sky steps forward. "How long do you have?" My heart is pounding. I can't loose him. Then I've lost everything.

"I don't know. I don't know. Not long." I look away. Tears are welling up in my eyes again. "So what do we do?" He stands up. Makes me look at him again. "I spoke to my seconds about your and Ava's training. Dowling is aware of my wishes for both of your futures."