nineteen

~ Time is precious. Make sure you spend it with the right people.~
----------

~----------

****

I met the girls at the carriages and went with them into the great hall, I decided to sit with them as I was with the boys the whole train ride.

We walked through the doors of the great hall. Candles floated above the four tables, the four banners of the Hogwarts houses hung from the walls and a warm feeling of anticipation spread through my body.

"Come on, let's sit with Mary and Dorcas." Marlene pulled me to the middle of the table where our two dormmates sat. We sat down and watched the sorting.

"Michael Edwards!"

"I bet he's going to be in Hufflepuff" whispered Mary.

"Dear Godric not again. You do this every year!" exclaimed Dorcas smiling.

"Hufflepuff!"

"See, it's my hidden talent." I laughed and turned to the girl who had just been called.

"She's totally going to be in Ravenclaw." I looked and Mary and said "No way, that's a Gryffindor."

She smirked at me and held out her hand "Bet?" I took shook her hand and smiled, "You're on." We stared at the hat like mesmerised and waited for an answer.

"Gryffindor!" I clapped and turned to look at Mary with a smug smile.

She looked at me with her mouth agape "That was beginner's luck".

"Oh yeah? Look, the girl is definitely in Slytherin." I answered, pointing at the girl who was just called.

"No, definitely Ravenclaw."

We spent the whole ceremony arguing about the houses of the first graders, Marlene and Alice got involved at some point, while Dorcas and Lily just sat there shaking their heads. After the meal, I went with the others to the common room.

I sat next to Lily on the couch and she asked, "Did you have those dreams again Talli?". I nodded, by now I could see more and more conversations, but not enough for me to make out what they were about.

"Are you planning on talking to Professor Dumbledore about it?"

"Yeah, I just haven't gotten the opportunity to ask if we could meet." She nodded and after we talked for a while we walked upstairs to our dorm. I lay down in bed and pulled my blanket up to my chin before I fell into a dreamless sleep.

****

"Have you heard about all the attacks on mudbloods?" I was sitting in potions with the Slytherins, next to Lily when Mulciber started to speak up.

"I think they deserve it." There were a few murmurs of agreement from the other Slytherins.

Lily started to tense. Everyone had heard about the attacks on muggles and muggleborns, there were more and more of them and they are a real danger for everyone who is not of magical descent. Lily's parents were both muggles and she has already told me that she was afraid for her family, that something would happen to them while she was at Hogwarts. I was also worried about my mother and my aunt who were muggles.