Chapter 66

October 1st, Thursday

Shifting in my seat, staring at my computer and the ever increasing mountain of paperwork before me, I contemplate, in utter disbelief, two months have sored into blissful oblivion. 

Jade's recovery has been phenomenal, she's in great health, functioning of her own accord. All casts have been removed, attending physical therapy for her limbs as directed. Apparently, the tendons and ligaments in her upper extremities were atrophied beyond initial perception resulting in more aggressive physical therapy sessions bequeathing her with discomfort. 

Along with her physical recuperation, her mental rehabilitation is in full swing. Originally her reluctance to speak to the psychiatrist ended in sessions of soundlessness until the choir in her head became so overpowering she liberated her past, in minuet doses she could endure.

The demons of Dane's abhorrent torment still exists within the depths of her soul. There's more history when it comes to that monstrous gargoyle. Indications hinted towards it but she hasn't built the courage to divulge the details of what transpired all her years under his control.

I'm not one to expose myself either, but if and when she is inclined to disclose that part of her quondam, I'll be here, with unlocked ears, a sealed jaw, waterlogged orbs and a shoulder to liberate her anguish on. If there's anything I can identify with, it's that.

Her lodging has been washed, scrubbed and stripped, fresh bight colors adorn the walls, new furniture, and decorative items. A different appearance for a newfound beginning devoid of harmful recollections of that unnerving encounter. 

Axle, Eric, Shelly, and I all pitched in; festivities become the norm while refacing her humble abode. Electrifying harmonious music, outlandish dancing, delectable drinks and the occasional paint soaring in the air, commencing  repetitive paint wars became the norm. Laughable squeals and high pitched voices resonated in the halls, Amanda and Jade only joining to revel in the paint exchange.  

Amanda played nurse to Jade as we transformed her digs into the marvelous living accommodations she now resides in. Jade even enjoyed heckling from time to time, walking into my apartment, she commented on the beauty of the cornflower color in my mane. The colorful pigments were not so effortless to remove once it coagulates.

After the metamorphosis was accomplished, she was in awe, shedding tears of joy. She adored the new shades and hues that coated the surface along with the new furnishings but she found herself unable to reside in her home.

On numerous occasions, I'd detect the groaning of my floor panels under light footsteps. With stealth, making it to the hallway entrance, I observe Jade attempting to find comfort in my couch. For two weeks it has been no different, during the day she reside in her quarters, but after dark, she maneuvers her way to where she perceives the most security.

Quite truthfully, I adore that she's discovered contentment and the sentiment of protection within the confines of my home. I acknowledge the fact that her recovery will be a slow process and I'm inclined to set her mind at ease ... she's not abandoned, I'm here for the entirety of her journey. 

In the coffee shop, I stumbled across Elijah, we entertained each other having immersed in delightful conversation. Amanda took in the dashing appearance of Elijah but concluded he was not her cup of tea.

Upon civil exchanges, I uncovered he is quite smitten with Avery, his boyfriend. When he revealed that juicy detail, I almost spit out my tea. That's what I get for assuming. Gobsmacked, n utter disbelief at my careless attempt set up my friends with him.

Relaxed, he explained this is a common occurrence. He prefers for people to respect him and his relationship after ascertaining the information, requesting no privilege, just the same reception as when they met, which is perfectly understandable.