Chapter 3

It's Friday ... finally! My nerves are on edge, I'm anxious to know if I got hired. Will I see him again? Or was it just a one time interview thing? I wouldn't mind feasting my eyes on the Adonis named Axle Cross. Wait did I just say that? Do I really want to see him again? I think I do.

I shake my head, continuing the three-day redecoration of my apartment. I've been keeping busy, my mind replays how each time he touched me, my body had a reaction to him. It felt unreal and agonizingly delicious, that has never happened before, weird huh? I don't think it would happen again, I wave my hand in the air to brush of the notion.

My living room, bedroom and the kitchen has changed repeatedly over the passed few days. rearranging and reorganizing at every possible moment to keep my mind busy and not contemplate of work or him. My cabinets are probably the most organized cabinets in the world with labels all facing forward and even labels. I shake my head at the use of my time, I need a job, badly. I don't have another interview for another week, waiting is going to drive me to the mad house.

I have enough money for next month's rent and bills but that's it, my savings will be gone after that, I have to get a job before it runs as dry as the desert. I don't want to burden Shelly and her mother again, Cassandra was so beyond sweet when she allowed me to stay after the accident. She didn't need to but I would have run away if I had to stay with HIM. He hadn't been in our lives for a while and I wasn't sure if they would find him for me to stay with him. 

She treated me as if I were her own daughter, I felt the love and care she bestowed upon Shelly. Even though she was going through a rough time herself she still had a big enough heart to take in an 18-year-old troubled girl.

Shelly and I were inseparable when we were together, she is the sister I never had. I don't think I would have been able to do it without her and Cassandra. Cassandra is like another mother to me, although she can never replace my mother, she is dear to me as one.

Because she took me in, I was able to go to college, she wouldn't let me not go. I think she would have kicked my ass if I even thought of not going, I love her for that. I love her for many other things too but I'm so happy she was there to help me pick up the pieces of my dreadful life.

I couldn't possibly burden them with needing a place to stay again if I don't get a job soon. I don't want to have to go back to that night job I had before I found my place in their home. That's not something I would want to impede in their life again.

She wouldn't hear of me working while I was in college but I had to earn my keep. I couldn't just stay there without helping in same way to repay her for her kindness. She didn't want me to pay rent but I always left money for her on the table in an envelope every time payday strolled around. 

We'd play a game of cat and mouse, I'd leave it on the time, then find it on my bed when I would get back from work or school. I giggle at the memory of all the back and forth. After a while I just deposited it into her bank account, I had to repay her somehow, she finally faltered and allowed my payments.

I'm startled out of my memories when I hear the gentle music from y phone. I rush all over the house to lay my eyes on the sofa, where my phone lights up and vibrates, I scurry to the sofa, extending my arm, swiping and lifting at the same time, "Hello," I say breathless. "Hello, may I please speak with Ms. Chloe Knox?" She says with professionalism. I reply, "This is she," my stomach in knots hoping it's good news.

"Hi, my name is Catherine DuBois with Cross Enterprises. I'm with the Human Resources department. I'm calling to formally offer you the position of financial adviser with the company. Of course you will get paperwork with the offer but I wanted to let you know first over the phone that you have the job. That is, if you still want it of course."