Chapter 38

I stare at my phone in disbelief, how can this be? I used a fake ID, I was careful, I didn't use my real name, hair color or eye color. Axle will turn away from me. He won't want me. He'll hate me! He'll want nothing to do with me. This is why you don't do feelings.

Wait! The cogs in my head spinning it of control, how do they know about the investigation? Only Axle and I are privy to this information. We only speak about it in his office or in private areas. How did they find out?

My phone pings, breaking me from my thoughts. It's Axle, an ache swells in my chest, I read his message, "I can't wait to see you tonight Kitten. I have quite the evening planned for you. 😉"

My heart feels the bitter sting of realization, this has the shelf life of day old bread. Shit, he'll never look at me the same. I couldn't bare him looking at me with disdain or disgust. What am I going to do? I contemplate different scenarios in my head, all leading to one road ... me alone, pained and unwilling to ever try again.

I need time to think, I head to the shower, turning on the water to a steamy roar, peeling my clothes off my skin, letting them cascade to the floor in a lumpy pile. I enter the fog, allowing it to engulf me, burning my olive colored flesh, turning it a bright red, releasing a slight whimper to the heat.

I stand there allowing my body to be assaulted, closing my eyes, feeling the pain, remembering how to accept it, so it doesn't hurt anymore. My body acclimates to the heat, I open my watery eyes, as if on autopilot, I wash every inch of me, scrubbing, trying to wash away my regretful past with every stroke on my now hellish flesh.

It doesn't work, when I'm done, the memories of my past still remain and a big lump of bright red skin. I slowly turn the nob, water fading to a drizzle, grabbing a towel I stumble out of the shower hitting my knee on the rim of the toilet. "SHIT!" That hurt, that's going to leave a bruise.

I wrap myself in the fluffy comfort of the towel, walking my way to the bedroom formulating my plan. For tonight, just for tonight, I'll be with Axle and tomorrow I will figure out what to do about this.

I shake my head to rid the ghosts of my past and focus on getting dressed, I want to wear something sexy but comfortable and of course eye-catching. I rummage through my closet , digging, light sounds of "eh-eh," shaking my head in disapproval until finally I unearth an enticing corral colored wrap dress.

I love the way it flows and looks elegant at the same time

I love the way it flows and looks elegant at the same time. I fix my hair in loose waves, a little lipstick and eye liner with mascara and I'm ready to go. I grab my purse as Leo will be downstairs waiting because he is always early.

As predicted, Leo is downstairs waiting for me. I greet him with pearly whites, "Good evening Leo, how are you this beautiful evening?" He opens the car door for me with a Cheshire Cat grin, "Wonderful as always Ms. Knox," he nods his head. "Leo please call me Chloe," I say as I enter the car. "Yes, ma'am," is all he says with a wide grin. I shake my head as I take my seat, anxious to see the only man that erupts butterflies in my chest.