Chapter 74

Wednesday

Arriving at our meeting Axles eyes bulge at the very sight if me causing my feet to halt.

"What are you doing here?" a unibrow appears on his face.

"Our meeting?" Vanishing behind the threshold, "I can go if it's ..."

"No! No, I just wasn't expecting your presence today given ..."

Unsure of my next maneuver, I remain statuesque .

Rounding the desk, he extends his arm, "Please join me."

Axle seats himself in our usual spot in the lounge area. I perch across from him meeting his gaze, the defeat in his solemn eyes tugs at my heart strings. Separating my lips to commence our conference, my lips snap shut upon hearing his words. 

"You look beautiful Chloe, as always."

Eyes veering to the floor, unable to meet his gaze, my fingers fumble in angst.  

"I want to apologize again Chloe. Honestly words cannot express how sorry I truly am for what I did. I should have never even surmised it was a good idea to allow another man to touch you in that way when I know it took you so much to garner that level of trust. It was an massive ignorant aberration."

Unable to formulate a single utterance, silence conquers the distance between us.

"Chloe, please speak to me. Say something, anything."

"There is a time and a place and this in not it."

"Anytime is perfect for rectifying my depravity."

"Please. I'm incapable of discussing this any further at the moment. I have progress on the investigation I'd like to divulge."

"Fuck the investigation Chloe! They can amass my entire fortune, it's inconsequential. You Chloe ... you are of the utmost importance. 

Those words escaping his lips, overloaded my chest with warmth, but it's inadequate to erase the harrowing recollections of last week.

Gathering my laptop, rising to full height, one foot in front of the other, "I must depart."

"No, Chloe please remain here," two swift strides, his hand lays upon my wrist halting my movement.

Twisting my head to meet his slate hues, "No." I whisper, proceeding to the exit, abandoning  him with awe written on his face. 

Arriving at home a sigh of relief escapes my lips

Arriving at home a sigh of relief escapes my lips. Peering down the hall, I station in place, eyes wide and bulging. Lacing the hall are at least 10 dozen roses lined along the wall. I stop to admire the myriad of colors gracing the enclosure . Pigments of salmon, ruby, canary, milky snow and apricot dazzle my astounded orbs.

 Pigments of salmon, ruby, canary, milky snow and apricot dazzle my astounded orbs