Chapter 1: What Do You Want From Me?

Alice heard the beeping of the alarm and stretched to reach for her phone. She wanted to hit snooze, but there was something important and she knew that she needed to remember it. 

What was it again? If she missed another important pack meeting Lane would be pissed. Reaching out her hand she met only empty air in the space where she had hoped she would find him sleeping. No sex before breakfast. The sheets weren't even warm, which meant he was long gone.

Pushing herself to the edge of the bed she found her phone and shut off the alarm. There was a message from Lane. She still hadn't changed his name in her phone, even though she'd been sleeping in his bed for almost a year, so the message said it came from her "Alpha."

"Don't forget the Obsidian Moon pack will be here at eleven."

That was why she had set an alarm for nine.

Rolling out of bed she stood up and walked to the shower. Lane had gotten home late the night before and hadn't been in the mood for anything more than a peck on the lips goodnight. She had been so wet for him and he'd hardly looked twice at her, in her tiny white tank top and shorts. They hadn't had sex in almost a month and she was starving for his thick, hard cock.

Alice stared at herself in the mirror and frowned, letting out a sigh. She knew why Lane was avoiding her. She had basically assumed all the duties of the pack's Luna.

And Alpha Cadman, Lane, that is, had been pushing to mark her. He wanted to do it and he wanted to do it immediately to show the world who she belonged to.

Why was she so reluctant? She was nineteen now, or she would be in a few weeks, and she still hadn't met her mate. Every other girl in her year at school was marked and mated. Most of them had already walked down the aisle who were going to, since most werewolves didn't see a reason to wait once they'd found "the one."

Stripping her tank top off over her head and slipping her shorts down over her slender hips, Alice walked to the shower. Even Kate, Alpha Cadman's daughter, and one of Alice's two best friends in all the world, had found her mate two months earlier. And Ava, the other best friend in their trio, had found her mate, and the love of her life, Cleo, ten months earlier and they had been inseparable ever since.

Deep down, Alice knew what the problem was. She wanted to meet the man that the Goddess had created as her other half. She understood, logically, that if Alpha Cadman marked her, it would create a very strong bond between the two of them. But it wouldn't be the same as the bond he had shared with his destined mate, Kate's mother. And it wouldn't be as strong as the bond Kate and Ava had with their mates.

Alice felt an ache in her chest.

The problem was that their pack had been attacked when Alice was a little girl. Both of her parents, along with Kate's mother, who had been Alpha Lane's mate, had been killed in the attack. Everyone assumed that Alice's heartbreak had probably been compounded and that her mate was one of the many wolves who had died that day too. Not many children had lost their lives, but a couple had, a boy and a girl. What if Alice's mate had been one of those two?

Turning the water as hot as she could stand, Alice tried to distract herself from her thoughts as she scrubbed her golden hair clean and then conditioned it. She did not have time to be distracted today.

Twenty minutes later she was drying her hair and applying makeup and selecting a dress that made her eyes look aquamarine and was sexy, but not too sexy. She wanted Lane's eyes on her and only her, but she didn't want him getting in a fight over her. She settled on a long light blue maxi dress that Lane had bought for her when they went on a weekend trip to the ocean, back when things had been better.