Chapter 38- That Night

Alice stepped up and out of the cave, ignoring the odd tug in her gut that caused her to want to turn back. She wasn't sure that she was ready to leave this place yet and return to the outside world, where there were complications and consequences. She was particularly nervous about the consequences she knew she would have to face for leaving this cave and returning to be Luna of a pack that she had never before laid eyes on.

Fin was a few steps ahead of her and he had turned back and extended his hand, helping her up out of the cave, even though she really didn't need the extra support. He was carrying the backpack with their supplies.

They had spent at least an hour debating whether or not to bring the bag and supplies, although neither of them had really firmly taken a side for or against bringing it with them. They had both seen the benefits to taking it or leaving it behind. 

The benefits were obvious. It could be very helpful to have all the supplies that Alice had packed all those years ago while they made their way through the wilderness. It was possible that they might end up needing them.

The disadvantage was that if they brought them along they would have to abandon them if they ended up shifting. And if they abandoned them on the way it would be easy for anyone who was still searching for them to find them and pick up their trail. Yes, it was unlikely after all these days, but it was still something that they needed to keep in mind, although Alice thought it was almost more likely that any searchers who were out at this point would be looking for Alpha Cadman and Emery.

"Do you think they've already found her?" They were headed north and then west in the direction of his pack's lands when she finally asked the question that had been on her mind for days.

The map that she had packed all those years ago was essentially useless, at least for what they needed a map for. She had brought it along because it was a map of the main roads in the area to the east, and to the south, but it wouldn't help them much in the wilderness. They were finding their way blind through rogue territory, or at least unclaimed territory if she listened to what her gut said and truly believed that there weren't rogues here.

"I hope so." Fin didn't sound all that hopeful, but he kept his voice low as he continued to speak, as they moved together through the darkening forest. They had decided to leave as night fell and they began their journey under the cover of darkness. "I just don't know. With all the resources her mate has at his command I don't know how they wouldn't find her within a day or two. I mean she's the sister-in-law of the King and Queen. She's the Queen's best friend and everyone in the werewolf world knows it. I don't know what the Hell he was thinking. I'm half surprised we haven't heard helicopters flying low over the woods for the last couple days. But we haven't. We haven't heard a thing. So maybe when we get there we'll find out that they've had her back since that first day."

They walked on in silence for a few minutes before he spoke again.

"Maybe we've just been on a long camping trip this whole time and that's why no one's come after us and maybe that bastard's already dead and we'll never have to deal with him threatening anyone we care about again."

Alice could hear the edge in his voice and knew that if Cadman was already dead a part of him would regret not being the one to take the man down. But at this point if it was revealed that he'd kidnapped Luna Emery there would be a long line of Alpha's waiting to kill the beast of an Alpha.

"Fin? I mean, Fintan?" She heard him snort when she said his entire first name and managed to stifle her laughter. It felt so good to feel like laughing, even if it was only over something small and silly like teasing her mate over making such a big deal about not telling her his name the day before.