Chapter 6- Hypocrite

Alice felt her wolf cower at Alpha Nowak's words, but her human side had the opposite reaction. She had spent a good portion of her life fighting for her place in the pack and she wasn't about to let her mate judge her and reject her without knowing the entire story.

Taking a deep breath, she gathered her courage to tell him as much as he would allow her to say. Meeting her mate's silver eyes, Alice suddenly didn't feel shy or afraid at all. A surge of anger washed through her body.

And for a moment she wasn't all that sure that he was worthy of her. What had he done so far to prove his worth as a mate, now that he was threatening rejection without even asking for an explanation? Yes, he was giving her a chance to explain, but only after his threats had been spouted off, sinking slowly into her body like poison. She felt her wolf perk up a bit and her teeth lengthened as she sat up straighter.

"I am going to start at the beginning. Because I think to understand any part of this, or me, that's where you have to begin. I was seven when our pack was attacked by rogues. I'm sure you remember, or at least you've heard about the slaughter that occurred that day?" She had been staring straight ahead as she began her story, but when she asked the question she let her eyes drift to where he was sitting and saw him nod ever so slightly.

His eyes were glued to her as he watched her intently.

"The attack began on the west side of the pack. My father was a warrior. He was also Alpha Cadman's Beta at that time. He ran to join the fighting. No one had any idea how bad it would be. He must have mind-linked something to my mother, when he got there and saw how many of them there were. I think he told her to take me and run to the bunker. Everyone who survived that night, other than me, and Alpha Cadman, were down in the bunker." Alice took a slow breath.

In the beginning she had cried when she told the story but by now she had told it so many times that she could tell it without breaking down. Since she was the only one, other than the Alpha who had lived through it, and Alpha Cadman had been knocked unconscious and woke up without his memory, everyone in the pack had wanted to know just what she remembered.

"I think my mom knew she couldn't live without my dad. She was going to try to save him. She couldn't get me to the bunker with the other wolves and also get to him. And you know how mates are-" Alice's voice trailed off as she realized what she had said and she blushed again, ever so faintly before shaking her head side to side and going on with the story -"there was a small panic room in our house. It was almost like a large safe. It was fireproof and she knew I would be safe inside of it. There was water and some snacks and a blanket and flashlight. She put me inside and she left. She told me not to come out until someone from our pack came to get me and said it was safe."

"Dinner that night was the last time I saw my father and when she said goodbye and kissed my cheek, it was the last time that I saw my mother. The rogues killed over a hundred members of our pack, including both my parents and the Alpha's wife. I went to live with my grandmother, after she moved here, which was fine, but probably not the best idea for a traumatized and later angsty, angry teen."

"When every other girl in my year found their mate, I honestly, and probably stupidly assumed that my streak of bad luck had continued and that my mate had been killed in the slaughter. After all, you probably know the statistics as well as I do?" She held out her hand.

"Ninety five percent of wolves find their mates within their own packs."

"Exactly," she continued as if he had proven her point for her.

"None of this explains how you ended up in the Alpha's bed. Isn't he your best friend's father?" Alpha Nowak managed to say the words through gritted teeth.