Chapter 5- Rejection?

Alice emerged from the shower, carefully scrubbed and clean and hoping she only smelled like herself and the soaps in the bathroom. She slipped into a pair of skimpy underwear and soft grey yoga pants that Kate had grabbed for her out of her dresser while she was still unconscious. Pulling a thin light blue tank top on over it, she wished that her best friend had brought something a bit more substantial to cover up with on top, and brushed out her long blonde hair until not a tangle remained.

Kate sat behind her and pulled it back into one of her intricate French braids, while they waited for the Alpha to return.

"The bruise on your cheek is really starting to show." Kate said in a low voice after a few moments of silence.

"Not helping with my nerves, Kate." Alice said, but the words came out sharper than she intended. She knew that Kate understood that she was on edge. Alice had given up on the idea of finding her mate. It might not have been entirely logical but she sometimes felt as if everyone really important in her life had been killed in that rogue attack and so it just sort of made sense that her mate had died that day too, even if it didn't make actual sense if she thought too long about it.

While she was thrilled at the idea of her mate being alive and there for her to have and hold and all that crap, in that moment, on that particularly hectic day, it was just all so sudden. And then there was the fact that she had met him smelling like sex and three different males, one of them an Alpha who he was apparently none too fond of, who had then proceeded to assault her, nearly cause a war between two packs who were desperately trying to make peace.

It was not the great first impression that she had hoped for.

Because like every other little werewolf girl she had had a vision of what meeting her perfect Alpha Prince had been like and it certainly didn't involve smelling like she'd just fucked another Alpha, Beta, and pack Third in Command. Her wolf whimpered in her mind and she chewed nervously at her bottom lip.

"Do you remember? When we kids? That stupid book we made in fifth grade language arts for the story contest?"

"Yes! We both made our own and they both made it into the finals! I swear it was because Miss. Anson still hadn't found her mate, which proves that you are nowhere near the limit and that my Dad was crazy to push you the way he did. He just wanted to lock you in! She was like twenty-four and she met her mate the next summer."

"And I wrote a story about growing up and going to Paris across the ocean on a yacht the summer after I turned eighteen and going to the top of the Eiffel tower at night and meeting the Prince of a European pack and knowing instantly that he was my mate and kissing him when the entire city was lit up around us."

"You were so boy crazy that year."

"So were you." The sound of their giggles was silenced as the door to the room opened quietly and they heard someone enter.

"I should probably go. Call me. Luna." Kate mouthed the last word so that only Alice would know that she had said it.

"Love you Kate. Take care of yourself. And give me updates on how you and the baby are doing. I'll take up knitting!" The two friends hugged and the Alpha's daughter slipped out of the suite, squeezing past the enormous figure that had just come in through the hallway.

"I'm glad to see that you're awake and that you seem to be feeling better. It seems that you've had quite a day." Alpha Nowak's voice was deep and calm, but Alice was so nervous after all that had happened that she kept her eyes focused on her hands, which were clasped in her lap, refusing to look up and meet his gaze. She closed her eyes at his second sentence, feeling slightly ill.

It had been quite a day and he likely didn't even know the half of it. He knew she'd enraged the Alpha and betrayed him.

But did he know why? And bringing it up, excusing what she'd done felt petty.