Chapter 59: Ashina

A/N- We're so close to the end, I can't believe it! 

"Alice? I've been thinking. I know you think that you don't need a personal guard, but I would feel much better if you had one." The new Luna of the Obsidian Moon pack wrinkled her nose at the idea.

"I know that Luna's are supposed to have personal guards, and that that's how it's always been, but don't you think it's a bit silly, giving me a guard of my own. I mean, you have heard what they're calling me now, right?"

"Alice-"

"And did you hear that the reporter from that magazine wants to do a cover article on me. The same magazine that did a cover article on Dani after she was crowned Queen."

"But you aren't letting it go to your head at all, are you?"

"They're calling me the Beast Slayer."

"That doesn't mean you don't need a guard. Hell, with all this attention you need a guard more than ever. Who knows what kind of people might come out of the woodwork now that you're famous." He ran a hand nervously through his hair, before grabbing her lightly around the waist and pulling her down onto his lap.

"Fin. It just seems silly. I know we have a large pack, but even a large pack is like a small town. Sure if we go on a trip and visit a city that's different. But here at home? A guard?" She pouted as she wiggled back and forth on his lap and he realized she wasn't about to fight fair to get her way.

"Well hear me out first, before you say no." She sighed and rolled her eyes before tucking a strand of golden hair behind her ear and leaning back against his chest, so that she could tilt her head and brush her lips lightly against his neck.

"I think I have a guard that you'll approve of."

"Hmmph." He knew, even without seeing her face, that she was probably rolling her eyes again as he pulled her closer to his chest, inhaling the intoxicating scent of her skin.

Two weeks had passed since that awful day at the cabin. For the first week they had hardly left Fin's room. No one quite understood exactly what had happened with Alice's heat. No one had actually ever heard of a She-Wolf's heat being held off by stress, especially once it started. And it had been clear to several people that she was about to go into heat that day before everything went so wrong. In fact, in the aftermath, when everyone began to talk, Cole, Dani, and Fin, all mentioned it and even Alice admitted to realizing that she felt hot when she got to the cabin door.

She should have been out of her mind about any male who was nearby by then, even if it was her asshole of an ex. But she hadn't been. And no one could really explain that.

It also bothered Alice that no one in the limited circle who knew about the voice she heard that day had any real answers for her. She had only told a few people about it, namely, Fin, Dani, and Lena. Each had a theory of their own and their theories were pretty much identical, but Alice got uncomfortable every time they said what they thought. She'd never been that comfortable when people talked about the Moon Goddess intervening with wolf's lives so it made her feel really weird to think that it might have happened to her.

The real surprise had been when the guards had found Kade alive in the basement under the cabin. Emery had been trying to tell them about him the entire time, but she'd been so feverish that half of what she'd said had been incoherent. Luckily the guards had done a thorough search of the entire cabin, fearing the Cadman had more girls stashed there, and they had found Kade quickly and had brought him back to the hospital, where he was still recovering from his wounds. Once he recovered he'd be welcome in Amber Moon or Obsidian Moon if he wished to stay in either.