Chapter 40- Lies

The wolf came tearing across the border, nearly crashing into the feet of the guard on duty before he could even think to move. She was a large, beautiful She-Wolf with apparent injuries covering her body, and as she lost consciousness she began to shift back to her human form.

"Call the Alphas. We have an injured She-Wolf here. I need transportation and some clothes." He was already stripping off his own t-shirt and covering her with it, suddenly conscious that he didn't know what Luna Emery looked like exactly. The guard was young and he'd seen pictures of her in newspapers and magazines in passing, and on TV, but he hadn't paid attention. He knew that she had blonde hair and blue eyes, which this woman very clearly did have.

Was this battered woman, who had clearly been through Hell, the missing Luna?

Within five minutes there were a dozen other warriors there hovering nearby, trying to find a way to help. The medics arrived moments later. Alpha Vos and Alpha Altera were there within ten minutes of her unexpected arrival.

"It's not her." Kent growled the moment he glanced down at the woman who was now on a backboard, being carried away between two men. Alpha Vos said nothing, but simply turned and walked a short distance away, his jaw tense.

"She isn't from Amber Moon." Vos didn't recognize the voice of whoever it was who was speaking. He was simply forcing the air in and out of his lungs, focusing on breathing. Something had happened two nights earlier, a searing pain that had ripped through his body and ever since then it had been hard to even think. He hated to imagine what was happening to Emery in every moment since she'd gone missing, but he'd been especially sick imagining what had happened to her in that particular moment.

He'd been told that the Alpha they were tracking might be in the process of losing his mind because he'd been holding himself in form between shifts, something all wolves learned not to do when they were very young. But here was Alpha Vos wondering if he was veering towards madness himself after being apart from Emery this long. He knew it was more than that though.

They had been apart for more than a week at a time when he'd had to travel for Pack business or occasionally when he'd done favors for his brother-in-law. Hell, they'd been apart for almost a month when Emery had gone and stayed with Dani to help her after she'd had the twins. But this was different. This time he knew she was in danger and despite every effort he'd taken he hadn't been able to find her. It was driving him out of his mind.

"Isn't that one of the women from Obsidian Moon?" It was one of the Amber Moon warriors who had just arrived who was speaking. Vos pulled himself together and turned around, walking back towards the group, his face a perfect mask of indifference.

He felt Kent's eyes on him, could practically feel his worry spanning the distance between them. But of course, Kent would be worried too. He'd known Emery nearly as long as Vos had. While he certainly didn't have the same relationship with her that her mate had, they were friends and once upon a time, as Vos' third in command he had been her guard. Kent was definitely Emery's friend and he was certain that his mate had been excited to see the New York Alpha and get news about how his mate Stella was doing as a new mom.

"It is. It definitely is." Vos turned as another Amber Moon warrior arrived on the scene. He tried to remember the man's name. He knew he'd met him the day before. He was Alpha Cadman's son-in-law, although he could tell that there didn't seem to be a great deal of lost love between the younger man and his father-in-law when he spoke about him. Oryn, that was his name. "She stood watch with me outside of Alice and Kate's cabin the night before the Council meeting was supposed to take place."

"Alice is the Luna that you were here to see about." Oryn continued his explanation as Vos' expression remained neutral. Since he'd traveled here he'd learned everything he possibly could about this pack and everyone who could have anything to do with his mate's disappearance and he had opinions but he wasn't about to share them with anyone at Amber Moon other than maybe Kent.