Chapter 16- Emery

The Banquet Hall was, just as the name implied, reserved for special occasions. It, along with a large gym that included basketball courts and a pool, made up the largest open areas inside the Packhouse.

Kate had linked her arm through Alice's long before they arrived at the Packhouse and she could feel her best friend tremble as they came to the doors.

"So yesterday you were bold as brass when you strutted in here with your clothes askew and reeking of his Beta and Third? But today you look like a Princess and you're trembling?" Kate shot the words over to her friend via mind link and saw Alice roll her eyes.

"Yesterday when I walked through those doors I thought I had nothing left to lose. I wanted to leave this pack and I wanted to hurt Lane before I did it. Today I'm afraid I have everything to lose and that somehow he's going to make sure that I do." She shivered again and squeezed Kate's arm.

"Well I know I'm not really anybody, I mean, except your best friend. But I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen. And I'm sure there're other people who will have your back too."

Alice raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything.

When they reached the banquet hall they found that there were servers, rather than the more common buffet that the pack usually hosted during pack events, and that they were going to be seated in what appeared to be assigned seats. The hostess sat them both directly in front of the high table, an obvious step down for the both of them. Luna Emery was still in the Hall, and she was seated right next to Alpha Cadman.

While Alice was seated with her back to the front of the room she could feel Lane's eyes boring into the back of her head. "Is he looking straight at me?" She mouthed the words to Kate, who was also not facing the head table, but who still had a much better view than Alice did. Kate's eyes flicked to the side before she nodded.

"Have you thought about what color you want to wear for the ceremony?" Kate changed the subject suddenly and began to speak at a normal volume.

"The-" Alice began but Kate interrupted her with a laugh, although the laughter most definitely did not reach her eyes.

"I'm surprised you can think of anything else. Well, other than that man of yours. But of course I'm talking about the Pack Initiation Ceremony when you're accepted as Luna of the Obsidian Moon pack. I know white is the traditional color, but I've been pouring over Werewolf Weekly and I've seen Luna's from around the world wear dresses ranging from almost yellow, the fabric of their gowns were so dark, to dresses that were almost blindingly white. Some are covered in gems and some are simple. If Fin let's you put it off a bit, we could do some major shopping."

"I don't want to put it off." Alice said the words quickly, her hands in fists under the table. She had to restrain herself to keep from covering the back of her head with her arms. She could feel his fury building behind her.

"What are you doing?" She sent the thought fluttering to Kate through mind link as she shot her a frantic look.

"He won't touch you with Luna Emery sitting right there. And do you see that she has two guards, sitting further down the table? They're bigger than any warrior in our pack. Heck, they're bigger than anyone here but Fin."

"I can't see anyone at the head table. And I made a point of not looking up there when we walked in because I didn't want to see him glaring at me. I feel like I'm going to puke from the stress now that we're here."

Kate reached over and squeezed her hand as they continued to speak mind to mind. "Honestly I'm hoping he might lose it in front of her. Then she can see how bad he is. The Council has taken down bad Alphas more than a few times. And while I love my father because he's my father, I can't pretend he's fit to be the Alpha of this pack anymore. It hurts to say it, but I've suspected it for a while now and yesterday just proved it."