Chapter 31- Caged

A/N- I know I missed last weeks update, so here is a double update! 

Luna Emery Vos didn't open her eyes the moment she regained consciousness. The first thing that she realized as her mind began to stir from the drugged stupor that she had been in, for a span of time she could not even begin to guess the length of, was that every single part of her body hurt. It wasn't just a dull ache either. Her body was racked with pain. Even her hair hurt.

"He injected you with silver and wolfsbane. That's why you feel that way." The voice wasn't one that she recognized and she held even stiller when she realized that she had been spoken to. "It's okay. I'm a prisoner too. And I know that you're awake. Your breathing changed. Just so you know, you're holding your breath now. You might want to breathe so you don't faint. You're in pretty bad shape as it is."

Emery's eyes fluttered open to stare at the man who had been speaking to her. He was huddled in on himself, in a dark corner of the room his knees pushed up to his chest, his arms wrapped tightly around his legs.

The room that she found herself in, now that she had finally opened her eyes and looked around, was dimly lit. It was hard to make out much of anything other than the fact that there were no windows here. A bare lightbulb hung between them, filling the air with a soft hum as it cast it's yellow light across the room.

The ceiling of the room was lower than in an average room, but it was still a bit above six feet and a half feet, so that most men wouldn't have to dip their heads to walk through it, although they would have to watch out for the light. Emery was shackled against the wall, and the silver chains burned her wrists, although her ankles were protected by the thick tights that she had worn that morning.

Thank the Goddess for that at least.

The floor was made of cement and it had been poured at a slight incline, so that if it was hosed down, the water, and whatever else had splashed on the floor, would drain away. The thought of what had gone down the large drain in the center of the floor made Emery feel vaguely nauseous. Her eyes flicked back to the man in the corner. He was mostly in shadows, but she could see that his skin was reddened with dried blood, his face swollen and bruised.

She wondered briefly what she looked like. She didn't think that she looked that bad, but she didn't have a mirror. Glancing down at her legs she found that they looked relatively unscathed. Her tights had a large tear that started at the knee and ended part way down her shin. Her dress had blood spattered on it and as she searched back through her memories she vaguely remembered Alice, the young woman she'd been meeting with leaving the small office. She had closed the door behind her, but she hadn't locked it before picking up her cell phone and beginning to dial her mate.

There had been a sound behind her and she had begun to turn to see who it was, but before she could, strong arms had grabbed her, forcing a bag over her head. She had fought as hard as she could and the last thing she remembered was hitting her head hard against something as the person tried to subdue her and then grabbing hold of what felt like the door frame, as she tried to begin to shift in an attempt to loosen her attacker's grip on her. At least then she would have had claws and teeth to defend herself with.

It had been too late though. Even as she'd felt her canines lengthening and her claws pushing out the ends of her fingertips she had felt a sharp prick against the side of her neck and then the world had faded to black.

Shaking her head, which was a mistake because like the rest of her body it hurt, she refocused her gaze on the man in the corner.

"Who are you?" Emery whispered.

"A dead man." He chuckled dryly, but the laugh, which was entirely devoid of humor, turned into a cough that racked his entire body. "I'm sorry. That wasn't funny." He managed to get out the words when he finally stopped coughing before wiping away the blood that was now on the palm of his hand. "I'm Kade. The Third in command here at Amber Moon. Or I was. I believe this," he gestured at the bars of the cage, or perhaps it was at the room in general, "is a demotion."