Chapter 17- What Happened

Alpha Cadman had given Alice her own office, although she hardly ever used it. Still, she had decorated it to her own liking before he started insisting that she spend each and every day working out of his office, mostly so that, for the first eleven months of their relationship at least, she could be available to him, whenever he wanted to take her on top of his desk.

The small corner office was actually surprisingly far away from the Pack administration office's and Alice wasn't quite sure why he had given it to her in the first place. It wasn't the office that was intended for the Luna.

The first week she'd had it she had painted the walls a dark charcoal gray. Her favorite of the walls she had painted was made entirely of bookshelves, and she'd loved filling that wall with her favorite books, knick knacks, and other belongings. Now as she came into the room with Luna Emery she was thankful that so many of her favorite belongings were actually here. She'd nearly forgotten about them. When Lane had given her the office she had moved many of her things out of her grandmother's and into this place, because it was a space that was actually her own, which was something she'd never really had before.

There was a photo of Kate, Ava, and Alice at their graduation, and a photo of Lane and Alice on a vacation that he had taken her on shortly after they'd started seeing each other.

The office had a desk with an office chair, but it also had two bright red velvet chairs that were pushed up quite close to one of the two outer walls of the room, which were Alice's other favorite part of her office. The two outer walls of her office were made of glass and she had the most lovely view of the forest outside, particularly because her office was on the third floor of the Packhouse. She would often see birds and squirrels perched just outside her window, and she loved it.

With a nervous smile, she gestured for Luna Emery to take a seat in one of the red chairs before sitting in the other, curling her legs up beneath her as she waited for whatever questions the other woman wanted to ask her, to begin. She had a sudden, desperate wish for the ability to glimpse the future, just for a moment, to see if she would be with Fin and happy, or if she would be without him and completely and totally desolate, trapped away from the other half of her soul.

"I know this has to be really, very hard for you. And I could tell by the phone call that I got last night from your friend that she cares about you very much. Enough so that she went against her own father. That couldn't have been easy. But it says something about your friendship, I think." When Luna Emery had begun speaking she had been staring intently at Alice, but after a few moments she shifted her gaze to the forest outside the window.

"In an hour two of my friends will arrive and the hearing will begin. But before that happens I would like to hear from you, right now, what exactly happened here. How did you come to be in the position that you are in right now and is there really a chance that you are carrying Alpha Cadman's pup? I need to stress to you, Alice, how extremely important it is that you be honest with me today. We are going to have you undergo a doctor's exam with an independent doctor. But I would like to hear the truth, from your point of view, rather than from the point of view of either of these Alphas." The Luna's mouth quirked as she said the word Alphas.

"Okay. I'll do my best." Alice wrapped her arms around her middle as she stared out into the forest, praying that she wouldn't cry and mess up all the work that Kate had put into her appearance that day. Taking a deep breath, she began.

"To make sense of the whole thing, my relationship to the pack, and why I didn't believe that I had a mate, I have to go back a ways, to when our pack was attacked by rogues. I was a little girl and my Father was the Beta of our pack back then. I remember bits and pieces of the night of the attack. My Father went to help fight off the rogues and then after he left, when they realized that things were going to go badly they sent out the order for pack members to go to the Bunker."