Chapter 30- The Hunt

Alice and her wolf moved as one, a flash of gold through the forest. By the Goddess, how she had missed this. She'd missed the hunt and she'd missed surviving on her own, away from the pressures and the eyes of the Amber Moon pack. After her parents had died she had never felt quite like she belonged there and now she was flying between the trees, chasing after a deer and she almost felt like she had wings.

It was the beginning of fall and the deer were fat and well fed. She and her mate would eat well tonight.

She let the large buck run further than she needed to, enjoying the feel of the earth beneath her paws, and the sky above her. When she felt his teeth sink into his neck, his blood running down her throat she gave thanks to the Goddess for the hunt, for this deer that she would bring back with her to Fin, and for her mate himself, her body still glowing with the pleasure he had made her feel only an hour earlier.

Looking around she realized that she had chased the deer back in the direction of the cave, which was a very good thing, because there was no way she was going to be able to haul this buck inside by herself. He was enormous.

Reaching out with her mind, she called to her mate, feeling her cheeks grow pink as she felt her mind brush against his. It felt so intimate, which made her smile, because she'd mind-linked so many people in her life and she'd never felt that way before. But this was definitely different.

"Yes, Kitten?" came his immediate reply.

"I have a buck. I brought him down about an eighth of a mile west of the mouth of the cave. You'll practically be able to see us once you step out. But he's a big boy and there's no way I'm going to be able to haul this guy down there by myself."

"Bite off more than you could chew, Princess?" She rolled her eyes.

"Let's just say we'll be eating well for a few days."

"Mhmm. Be right up. And hey. I found a knife in here. Maybe I can cut it down to size up there while you build the fire, since you were being strangely specific about the fire? Unless you want to butcher and build?" She could almost hear the laughter in his thoughts.

"Nope. This deer is all yours, Love." She felt a flood of happiness sweep through her as she said the word. It wasn't unusual for mates to say "I love you" rather quickly. And she and Fin had been thrust into a high stress situation, which was causing their relationship to develop at an even more breakneck pace, especially for two people who had been complete strangers three days earlier. She wondered which of the two of them would actually string the three words together first and where they would be when it happened. Her money was on a heat of the moment declaration in bed. Or maybe not "in bed" literally. But she would have been willing to bet real money that one of them would let the words slip while they were fucking.

"Be right up then, Beautiful." She nodded her head, so involved in her thoughts that for a moment she forgot that he couldn't see her.

As promised he appeared by her side in less than five minutes, still wearing only jeans and his boots. She shifted back to her human form, and watched the way his eyes trailed over her body, taking in the blood that was smeared across her face and neck and down across her breasts. Her eyebrows shot up when he reached down to adjust himself.

"You seriously can't think I look sexy right now," Alice shook her head as he passed her a flashlight.

"Baby, you do. You are standing next to a huge buck that you just brought down all by yourself, after rescuing me from being locked up and tortured..."

"I had help," she interrupted, but he just shook her head and continued.

"We're finally fully mated. And you're basically the most perfect woman I've ever met. I know we have a whole lot of problems right now, but honestly, standing here, staring at my beautiful mate who just hunted down lunch for us, I'm the happiest I've ever been."