Chapter 3- Ready to Run

"Where the fuck have you been, Luna?" Cole sounded exhausted when he found her and must have tracked her in his wolf form and shifted back to human, because he was barefoot and only wearing an old pair of basketball shorts.

"Here." she didn't look up at him when she answered him. "And I'm not your Goddess Damned Luna." she practically snarled the words and felt him draw back even though her eyes remained focused on the ground.

"What the Hell happened to you?" he asked, sinking down next to her and leaning against the tree, before bumping her with his shoulder.

"Oh, our great and honorable Alpha didn't tell you?" she sniffled as she said the words, before glancing over at him for the first time and giving him a clear view of just how red and puffy her eyes were.

"I haven't even seen him. He just sent me and Kade out and I was searching the east side of the territory while Kade is searching the west. The rest of the warriors are at the luncheon at the Pack Hall that's about to start. But I guess the other Alpha is demanding to know where this beautiful Luna is that he's heard so much about and things are really tense. I hadn't realized how much he and Alpha Cadman disliked each other. I guess they have met at a few of those Alpha conferences and apparently they definitely are not friends."

"Probably arguing about whose dick's bigger." Alice muttered, before turning her face away and looking off in the distance.

"Okay, Alice, I don't know what you two are fighting about, but he needs you right now. We can't afford to offend this pack. They're bigger than us and we need this treaty to go through. It's a perilous time for werewolves and-"

"Did he tell you that he fucked the new little She-Wolf whose family just arrived from the North? I mean at least Theo never pretended to be mate material. He never pretended to be anything other than the douche canoe that he was. But Lane pretended that he loved me and wanted to have pups with me? And then I walk into his office and find him drilling some little She-Slut from The Last Frontier. Or was it Canada? Wherever the Hell they transferred from. And now I'm supposed to go to this luncheon and pretend it didn't happen. Well have him take little Miss Morning Delight and parade her around as his Luna because this almost Luna has had enough."

Cole had suddenly gone extremely pale. Alice heard him swear under his breath.

"Fucking idiot. I don't know what he was thinking." Looking up he met her eyes and shook his head. "I'm sorry Ally. I don't know what the bastard was thinking. He's my Alpha and my best friend since I've become his Beta, but he screwed up royally. I knew you not accepting his mark had been messing with his head, but come on. If it was this much of a deal to the man, he should have ended things with you first."

Alice turned away again, staring back in the direction of the pack house, as if weighing her choices. Stay or run.

"I can't go back. Not after what he did." she murmured. Running a hand through her now tangled blonde hair.

"Please, Ally. For the pack?" He'd reached out for her hand, meaning for the gesture to be friendly, but when their hands touched she looked up at him, surprised.

"Hmm. Maybe. For the pack." she said the words quietly as if to herself. Standing she tugged at the string that held the blue dress up, around her neck.

"Luna." Cole's voice sounded deeper than it normally did and she saw the tent his hard on had created under the silky fabric of his shorts in the few short seconds since she had stood up.

"Maybe I should shift and run home and get a different dress." she said the words as if she were speaking to herself.

"We don't have time, Luna." he managed to half choke out.