Chapter 25- Rise and Shine

"It's only been getting down into the fifties at night. A fire would be nice, and it will be tomorrow night, but we don't really need one today." They were laying on top of the sleeping bag, which was positioned on top of a doubled over tarp that she'd brought with her all those years ago. His arms were encircling her as she lay by his side, his face almost entirely healed.

If Alice was honest, she had expected him to try something, but after fifteen minutes his breathing was steady and she realized that he was asleep, and soon she followed after him, comforted by his strong arms and the warmth of his body.

She had no idea how much time had passed when she woke. It was impossible to tell what time it was with the flashlights turned off, in the complete and total darkness of the cave. She was still in his arms, but his breathing was quiet now, making her strongly suspect that he was awake.

"Rise and shine Sleeping Beauty. You awake now?" His voice was low and husky and it sent a thrill through her body that she hadn't expected.

"I am." She tried to sit up but he held her close, before pulling her on top of his chest in one smooth easy motion. Alice let out a small squeal, thinking of his healing bones, but he held her firmly in place.

"Fin." she hissed. "You could hurt yourself. Your ribs. How are they?" She fretted but held still, afraid that if she moved she'd make it worse.

"Better." His voice sounded smug now. "Much, much better. My ribs are a bit sore, but nothing major. I think the bones are pretty much as good as new. I'll wait another day to shift, but I should be able to go out and help you with whatever chores you want to do without any worries about reinjuring anything. Hell, I think I could run and fight now. I just don't want to chance any transformation injuries until I'm 100%." Alice nodded and then realized that in the total darkness he wouldn't be able to see anything.

"Let me go and I'll get the flashlights." She could feel his morning wood pressing hard against her stomach and it wasn't making getting up and getting going any easier.

"If you insist, Baby." He released her but ran his hands lightly down her sides, causing her to draw in a sharp breath.

It only took her a moment to find the flashlights and when she did she set them down on their ends so they were at least providing some light for the small space that they were occupying. Turning she saw that he'd stripped his shirt off. There were new scars that were raised and pink that she didn't recognize that must have been from what he'd endured the day before. 

As an Alpha he would heal rapidly but even broken bones and deep lacerations needed time to mend, especially after what they'd gone through the previous day. And he would need to replenish the energy that the healing had depleted.

"I wanted to gather firewood today, but there are also some hot springs about half a mile from here. There's a lake about a five minute walk that way too, that's inside the caves. Whether we swim in it or not, I want to show it to you sometime today. It is really cold though. It's the only part of this place that isn't completely dark. And of course we need to get something to eat. Which do you want to do first?"

"You decide. I feel like this is your place, so, what do you want to do first, Princess?" She rolled her eyes, just as she'd wanted to do every time he called her that, but was grateful it was still too dark for him to see her reaction. A small part of her had a feeling he might not approve of her eye rolling habit.

"Hot springs, firewood, build a fire, catch some food, cook it and take a swim to cool down and clean up after the chores? How does that sound for a day?" She had picked up her toothbrush and as she waited for his answer she began to brush her teeth.