Chapter 51- Heat?

Vos jerked his head towards his brother-in-law as a stream of profanity left Luca's lips. He was certain he'd never seen that sort of reaction from the King, especially since Luca had been named King. And Vos had very little doubt in his mind what the reaction was about. But now didn't seem to be the time to point out that he had predicted that Dani would sneak out of her room or that she would rush straight into danger, determined to help her friend.

"Message from the guards at the palace."

Vos nodded his head as they continued to walk side by side. Four of the guards in their group had stayed behind to help the women in the cabin get packed and to escort them to Obsidian Moon, while they and the other guards set out ahead of the group, on their way back to the Pack House, with plans to interrogate Isolde.

Vos had grated his teeth as the woman that had met them at the door, Raelyn, had spun quite the story in response to their questioning, claiming not to know how to reach Alpha Vos' cabin from where they were now. They'd been brought there by Isolde, blindfolded, she explained, and their Alpha had been visiting them once a day, in hopes that they would fall pregnant.

Each of the women in the house was excited by the idea of bearing his pups.

Both Vos and Luca had felt vaguely ill by the time they stepped outside of the cabin and headed back for the night.

"It's not like we could torture it out of her, even if she probably knows where the others are." Luca's voice had been low as he'd said the words to Vos, and Vos had known that it was true, even if he hadn't liked it. He'd do just about anything to save Emery, but torturing the innocent was a step too far. And those girls hadn't done anything to deserve what they'd gone through. They were victims, just like Emery and anyone else they'd find along the way, even if they didn't realize it yet.

The abrupt silence that followed his words was how Vos had known that Luca was receiving a message. And that was when the cursing had begun.

"All twelve guards outside were taken down. Some sort of sleeping potion they think. They're still out. Dani and Alice are long gone. So are the prisoners. One border guard has been found unconscious. He says he saw Dani and Alice alone. He confronted them but someone got the drop on him from behind. The guard inside the prison was found unconscious as well, along with two of our men on the lower level."

"Wow, Luca. Just wow." If Vos had been in any shape to laugh he would have managed to. "You might want to watch your back, friend. It sounds like my sister's fired up. And after seeing what she's capable of," Vos sucked in a deep breath and shook his head from side to side, "I'd just be careful man."

"There's no way Dani did it. She can't cook. I mean unless she somehow ordered pizza and sprinkled something on it before she served it up, I think we're looking at someone else knocking them out and Dani exploiting the situation to her advantage to get out."

Vos shrugged. He wouldn't put anything past his baby sister. She was a devoted wife and a loving mother. But she would do anything for her friends and her family. And that included ignoring her husband, the King's orders and trekking out into the wilderness to take on a known monster to help rescue one of her closest friends.

"Did you ever think that it might have been safer just to keep her with us? I mean-"

"Shit." Luca was frozen in place again the palm of his hand pressed against his forehead. Vos stopped, holding up his hand to signal to the men behind them to wait. At this rate it was going to be noon before they got home.

Luca had pulled a pen out of one of his pockets and was jotting down numbers on his arm. Vos could see from where he was standing that they were GPS coordinates and knew, just like that, that they weren't going to their beds yet. His heart lifted in hope. He hadn't wanted to go back to Obsidian Moon yet anyways. It wasn't like he was going to be able to rest or sleep soundly until his mate was back in his arms.