Chapter 10- Izzy

"I'm really, really sorry Allie."

Alice laid back on the King sized bed, that she had once shared with Lane and stared up at the thick log beams of the ceiling. It felt strange being in the master suite without him, although she certainly didn't want him there.

"You don't need to apologize for your father, Kate. He's responsible for his actions. You certainly aren't."

"I know. But a year ago when this all started I knew he was after you. Fudge. I should have said something to you. It felt off that night, when he basically set up that slumber party for us." Kate shook her head in frustration, as Alice raised an eyebrow at the way her friend avoided swearing. Kate rarely used curse words, and when she did it was always kind of cute. 

"I mean, he's been kind of weird about you for a long time. And sure I thought it was weird and a little gross because ew, he's my dad. But you were with Theo who cheated and treated you like shit. And I sure as fuck didn't think he'd do that. And at least we were finally eighteen, you know? I thought you two might be good for each other. But now." Kate shook her head again, before flipping over onto her stomach.

"No one could have predicted this. And you're right. Theo was, well, I mean he truly is, a douche. I mean what? He's slept with half the females in the pack at this point, usually while he has a girlfriend. I should just be thankful that he didn't end up being my mate."

"It'll probably be someone totally sweet and amazing. That's how it always works out with guys like him."

Alice lay back and sighed. Kate was right. At least from what they had both witnessed in their class and in the class before them, some of the biggest assholes always seemed to up with the sweetest mates. Then again, Alice knew that she hadn't really been known for being sweet and from what she'd seen her mate seemed pretty fantastic.

"I wish I could make some excuse, you know? Say that he changed after mom died. But I'm not really sure that he did." Kate was resting her chin on a pillow as she stared out towards the bedroom door and the rooms beyond it. "When mom was around it was better. But it still wasn't-" Kate cut herself off as if she'd just remembered something and shook her head. "I didn't tell you what I really said to your mate, did I?"

Alice raised her eyebrows. "I had a feeling you weren't really telling him to send my bags, which don't really have much of anything in them, over here?" She was still wearing Fin's sweatshirt, even though it was warm in the little cabin, simply so that his comforting scent would remain wrapped around her.

"On the way here I made Oryn swear on his life that he wouldn't screw this up."

"Kate-" Alice drew in a sharp breath. "What did you do?"

"You just can't have sex, right?" Kate widened her eyes with false innocence. "Come on Alice. You just found your mate and he's a smoking hot Alpha. You can't tell me you don't want to spend time with him tonight. Especially after what you've just gone through. You need to strengthen that bond as much as you can before you two go before the council tomorrow. You know that just as well as I do."

Alice drew in a slow breath. Her best friend wasn't wrong. This wasn't just about gratification. The mate bond was delicate in the beginning. And hadn't Fin been talking about rejecting her only a couple of hours earlier? Sure, he'd changed his mind quickly during their conversation, but how hard would it be for Lane to get him to change it back if he managed to corner him? And she had to know that's exactly what Lane would be attempting to do during the meeting the next day.

"But after what happened earlier Cole isn't about to let him just waltz in here and spend the night with me."

"The night? Probably not. But Cole loves you." Alice opened her mouth to protest but Kate raised her hand to stop her. "Not like that. Not like a mate. But like a very good friend. Like a wolf should love his Luna. Because, and believe me when I say this Alice, speaking not as your best friend, but as someone who has watched what's been happening this last year and knows what she's talking about, that's what you've grown into. And Cole knows that every bit as well as I do."