Chapter 9-Calling The Council

A murmur rippled through the crowd at the news. The Alpha's daughter was expecting a pup. On a normal day the announcement of a grandchild for the Alpha would be great news. There would be a celebration. Hell, the news should have been announced at a celebration, not in the midst of a tense situation, while Kate clung to her best friend's hand, holding a cell phone so tightly in her other hand that her knuckles had turned white.

"I have called the Council." The crowd fell silent at this, but Alice's eyes were on Alpha Cadman's face and she noticed that he did not look pleased at his daughter's words. "I explained the situation to the intern that answered the phone and I was actually put through to speak with Luna Emery because of the seriousness of the situation."

Everyone knew who Luna Emery was. In the werewolf world she was practically royalty since her husband was the brother of the Queen and one of the closest friends of the King. She, herself, was one of the women in Queen Andraste's inner circle.

"You should let your father continue to handle these sorts of things, Princess." Alpha Cadman was glaring at Kate, despite the false softness of his tone, and Alice squeezed her hand, feeling sick to her stomach. She quite suddenly felt as if she had never known the man who she had slept beside for the past twelve months.

"Well you seemed quite wrapped up in the moment, Father. And I was worried for my friend. And for the future of our pack." Alice could tell that the last words that Kate said struck her father like a slap in the face. But his eyes dimmed, and after a few more moments returned to their normal shade of brown.

"I would never do anything that would harm you, or our pack. I'm simply protecting what belongs to me." His eyes flashed for a moment as his gaze returned to Alice. Alpha Fin had stepped forward, so that he was standing only inches behind her, his hands resting lightly on her shoulders and Alice felt herself relax just slightly at his touch, despite the tense situation that surrounded them.

Kate sighed and shook her head. "Luna Emery has requested that I stay with Alice tonight in a neutral space. She is leaving her pack lands tonight to come here. She said two other council members will head in this direction as well and will convene a hearing to determine whose claims are valid.

"Claims?" Alice said the word faintly, one hand rising to cover her mouth.

"If you are pregnant with his pup, then the pup is property of the Amber Moon Pack as its future Alpha. It will not be permitted to leave these grounds. Even with its mother. Especially if it is a male. You will be allowed to leave after the pup is born. If you want to." Fin let out a slow breath. "I mean to say, if there even is a pup." 

"I believe you. I know the bastard is lying through his teeth to force you to stay. He'll say anything."

Alice nodded and reached behind her back blindly, tangling her fingers in Fin's warm grip. She could not believe that this was happening.

"Luna Emery lives in-"

"California." Kate filled in the answer that her overwrought mind was seeking. As she continued to speak Kate raised her voice loud enough so that everyone around them could hear what she had to say, "Luna Emery said that she had access to a plane and could be here by mid morning, tomorrow. She didn't say who else was coming, but she'll get in contact with everyone else who needs to be here."

Alice realized that she was shaking.

It was her existence, and more specifically, her mistake of a relationship, that had drawn the Obsidian Moon pack leadership into this mess. Who knew what Lane would pull before morning. Would they even survive that long?

Turning she gazed up at her mate, Alice ignored Alpha Cadman's gaze, which she could practically feel burning into her back. "I think it might be safest if you took your pack members and went back across the border, to the neutral territory or back onto your own lands. I know at least that I'm safe here, especially if I stay with Kate. I can't say the same for you, or your pack members, especially once you go back to your own rooms."