Chapter 52: On Fire

The moment that Alice got to the front door, a wave of dizziness swept through her body. She shook her head, as if that might help and immediately realized that it was exactly the wrong thing to do. Taking one step back she almost turned, thinking better of the plan they'd come up with.

She couldn't go in if she felt like this. Hell, she couldn't go in if she wasn't a hundred and ten percent, and feeling as if she was about to faint definitely didn't put her in that category. Pressing one hand against her forehead she felt the thin sheen of sweat there and she realized how hot it was, even with her fleece off. The night must have been unseasonably warm. But why hadn't Dani taken off her jacket and fleece?

It was so hot that she was half tempted to strip off her tank top, right there on the cabin's porch. But that was insane. She needed to get off the porch to begin with.

"Focus, Alice. Focus. Remember why you're here."

The hand that clamped down around her wrist was calloused and strong and familiar and her mind immediately went back to all the things that it had done to her and made her feel. She'd always heard that when you're about to die, all the best moments in your life flash before your eyes, a highlight reel of sorts. This was a steamy highlights reel and she felt her cheeks turn bright red as her eyes flicked up to meet the eyes of the man who was keeping her from taking another step backwards.

"Well that's entirely inappropriate." She said the words to her wolf, since she wasn't about to say them to anyone else and she felt better blaming her wolf than taking credit for those thoughts on her own. "He is not our mate." Her tone was scolding now before she turned her attention back to the situation in front of her, managing to keep the colorful string of swear words that next popped into her mind from leaving her lips.

She wished, rather desperately, that she could still mind link Cole. Maybe he would have an idea about why she felt so out of control. If she didn't know that she hadn't had anything to drink she would have thought that she was drunk. Not drunk, drunk, but just a little bit past tipsy. And she was with it enough to realize that that was the last thing that she needed while on what was basically the first, and most important mission of her life.

Apparently, whatever her face had been doing while she had been standing there for no more than thirty seconds, had been pleasing to Alpha Cadman. He began with a suspicious expression that quickly changed into a smile as he tugged her through the front door, quickly locking it with a key behind them and dropping the key into his pocket.

"I- I'm- sorry." She blurted out the words not meaning them in the least. But she knew, even with the strange tricks her mind was playing on her that she needed to do two things while she was inside this house. The first thing she needed to do was gain his trust and stay alive. And once she had done that she needed to kill him. Those tasks were both huge and she would do whatever it took to end this before she walked out the door.

Swallowing she could already see the evidence of his arousal pushing at the waistband of his pants.

Okay, scratch that. She would do almost anything. She needed him dead before he actually tried to sleep with her again. Who knew what he was infected with after everything he'd done. Her wolf made a whimpering sound and rolled over on her back as he led her up a flight of stairs and down a hallway. Cadman stopped briefly in front of a room, using his body to block Alice from seeing who was inside, but he leaned in and spoke to someone and Alice was nearly certain that it was Lena. That meant there was a fair chance that that was Emery's room, since Lena was there to care for Emery, or at least that was what she did most of the time.

"When did you become such a hussy?" Alice mentally shot the question at her wolf as she preened a bit as they stopped and he unlocked the bedroom door.