Chapter 44- Dani

The King, who was every bit as handsome as every magazine and book and TV show that Alice had ever seen presented him to be, did not take her straight to her own room. Instead he took her straight to his mate's suite.

"I'm not going to be staying here. None of the men in the search party are. So I'm glad you'll be here to keep Dani company. I'm hoping that will keep her here." He blew out a deep breath as she watched him out of the corner of her eye. 

She knew that he was supposed to be older than she was, probably at least her mother and father's age. 

Alpha Vos and Luna Emery had children her age, along with some that were much younger, but none of them looked any older than Fin. They could all be in their early twenties. And that meant that the stories about the Royal Bloodline were true, which was even more fascinating since, like every other werewolf who had grown up in the were-education system, she knew the story of how Luca and Dani had been effectively elected King and Queen and probably didn't have a drop of the ancient royal bloodline between them. But the Moon Goddess worked in mysterious ways, Alice knew that for sure.

"My wife has been impatient to meet you." He turned to look at her, shaking his head slightly. "Your mate's mother, who I am not sure you have met yet, seems quite nice. But Andraste has not hit it off with his sister."

"The twin? Izzy?" Her eyebrows arched as he nodded. "That makes two of us."

"Dani is determined to come with me, to Amber Moon. After what happened to Emery, I am rather desperate to avoid that." Alice nodded, chewing on her bottom lip as she processed what he was saying. "I'm sure you understand how important it is that she stay here with you."

"You'll probably have a guard at the door?"

"Four. Four guards."

"It sounds like that settles that problem then. Doesn't it?" Alice said the words brightly, but she noticed that Luca wasn't smiling.

"You haven't met her yet. She isn't easily dissuaded. Or distracted. An Emery is very important to Dani. We just have to hope that she can sit tight while we get her back."

"Oh! Your majesty." Alice shook her head as she realized that they should tell the King about Lena. She was certain Fin probably was telling the other Alpha that had captured them about what she had said, after all it would clear their names if they caught Cadman, and Lena's information should lead to that, but after spending five minutes with the King, she thought that he should know, and the sooner that he did the better. 

She quickly related the story of what had happened on the previous day, while he nodded, his lips turning downward into a frown as he listened to the tale of the cabin in the woods where Luna Emery was supposedly being held."

When she finished with the telling, he shook his head. "Have you known this woman all your life? You said she was your mother's friend since childhood and your Godmother. So you know her well then?"

Alice paused, her eyes drawn to the floor. "I actually didn't know that she existed until we ran into her in the forest." She drew in a sharp breath and forced her eyes up to meet and hold the King's intimidating gaze. "But your Majesty, if there's one thing I've learned since my parents were killed it's to trust my gut and I believe she was telling the truth. And you have to believe that Fin had nothing to do with what happened. He was with me."

"I do believe that, Alice. I do. But we have the Council and Courts and we have to prove who has done this, now that his sister has made these accusations. I can't just let him go. And we had a scout that thinks he found a suspicious location in the completely opposite direction of where your witch says this cabin is located."