Chapter 22- Run

There was a knock on the door and Fin was on his feet in a matter of moments, putting himself between Alice and Cole as the door swung open.

"Generally in these situations I don't think the bad guys knock." Alice raised her eyebrows as a hiss escaped between his teeth, the pain of his hasty movements catching up with him.

"Guys, the search hasn't gone anywhere and they're getting desperate. I just heard via the pack warrior mindlink that a group is headed this way to question Fin. Alpha Altera doesn't know about it, but they don't care at this point. Everyone wants to be a hero right now and they think this might be a way to make a name for themselves.

"Are you going to step into his place?" Fin asked, as Alice began to tug him towards the door.

"I don't know. I don't think so. I never really wanted that." He shook his head and so did Alice, who disagreed entirely. She thought that Cole would make a better Alpha than the one they currently had, but now was not the time to start that argument. They didn't have the time. If Cole didn't want to fight for the position no one could make him.

"How are we going to make it past the guard? Do we have to-" Alice made a slicing movement across her neck along with what would have been a highly amusing face if not for the situation at hand.

"Kill him? You think we should kill the guard? Is this because he leered at you and called you a slut? Everyone knows you aren't, Alice. I don't know that he should die just for that." Cole was trying to lighten the mood, but Fin immediately looked like he was onboard with the killing idea now that he knew what the man had said.

"No. But how else will we get past him?" Fin opened his mouth to speak but Cole hurried to give an answer.

"If we leave a body behind they'll focus more resources on us. We can mindlink Kate and ask her to move a little ways back towards the packhouse and then call for help. He said he'd be listening for her. You heard how enamoured he is with the idea of her being pregnant with the next Alpha of the pack. He'd be over the Moon with the idea of rescuing her if he thought she was in trouble. And she'll be more than happy to help you Alice, you know that."

Alice nodded, uneasily. She hated putting any of her friends in this situation, be it Cole or Kate. But Fin's life was at stake. Who knows what could happen if a half dozen angry warriors got their paws on him.

"You ask her?" Alice whispered, slipping her arm around Fin's waist, although she was half afraid to touch him. He pulled her close, kissing the top of her head.

"How close are the men?" Alice asked after a moment as they waited to hear Kate's voice.

"Two minutes out." Alice nodded before wiping the sweaty palms of her hands on her jeans. This was going to be close. Even if they made it out, the men might be able to track them.

"Help. Help me!" Alice heard Kate's cries and her hand slipped down from Fin's waist as they each prepared to run.

"Wait for it. Wait for it." Cole whispered, and then they heard William's footsteps thundering off in the direction of Kate's voice. "Follow me. Now. Stay close so we can avoid the men coming in. Let's go."

They ran up the steps, with Alice behind Cole and Fin bringing up the rear. Alice longed to turn around to check on him, but she knew it would take every bit of speed that she had to keep up with the two powerful males, even with her mate being injured. The moment they were clear of the holding cells Cole took a sharp left, which meant that he was heading east.

"We only have the barest perimeter set up right now on the border. It shouldn't be too hard to slip through. As long as he can keep up." Cole cast a worried look back over at his shoulder at Fin, who was jogging behind them, one hand clutching his ribs.