Chapter 49- The Little Cabin

"This has to be it." Vos' heart was pounding in his chest. His skin was slick with sweat, and he was fairly certain that he had a fever.

He still couldn't feel Emery, not the way that he should and it was driving him half out of his mind, but he was holding it together because if he didn't he knew that Luca would have two guards put him in chains and send his ass back to that jail beneath the Obsidian Moon Pack House. The last thing they needed was a second Alpha going rogue on them when they weren't entirely certain who the first bad guy was.

Vos knew that Luca was already leaning towards Alpha Cadman as the perpetrator of this entire mess, even before he'd met the pair in the woods earlier that night. By the time he got back from delivering Alice to Dani's rooms he was even more convinced. Vos was only entirely convinced of one thing. Leaving Dani and Alice together was a mistake.

While he might not be entirely certain who was innocent and who was guilty in this whole mess, especially after Alpha Nowak's twin had come forward and started throwing around accusations, he'd known that two women together like Dani and Alice were trouble, especially on a night like tonight.

"I've left twelve guards on them." Luca had explained with what Vos had considered to be an overconfident laugh as the two of them had begun to lead the group that was heading south towards the location that they'd been given for the place that Emery was being said to be held. "Even Dani can't get past twelve guards. And honestly she isn't twenty anymore. We have children. She isn't going to be running around risking her life when she knows what she has waiting at home."

Alpha Vos had simply raised his eyebrows in the darkness. After all, Luca did probably know his wife better than Alpha Vos knew his younger sister. It wasn't as if they'd grown up under the same roof. He hadn't even really been able to pay attention to Dani. He hadn't actually had confirmation that she was his sister until she was a teenager and even then he wasn't sure she knew about their relationship until they were adults, so it wasn't like they'd grown up in some big happy family together.

As convinced as Luca was that Dani was still safely tucked into her room back in the pack house, Vos would have been willing to bet just about anything that she was already out of the house with that little blonde Luna, and that they were putting their own rescue plan into motion. Rolling his shoulders he wondered if they would run into each other before the sun rose. Or before they made it to the place they were heading and rescued his mate. He winced as another pain lanced through his temple.

Even with the link between them seemingly severed, the Queen's older brother had been feeling increasingly sick for the past two days. His head pounded, he knew he had a fever, and he didn't even want to think about his stomach. He nearly stumbled into Luca, missing his hand signal to stop entirely.

"That has to be it, doesn't it?" Luca's voice was low as his hand flicked out to the side, and the men that had accompanied them began to move out like the well trained team that they were. After all, they had just come upon a small, rustic, hunting cabin, it's windows glowing with a golden light. And it was exactly where Isolde had said it would be. Luca stepped forward but Vos grabbed his friend's arm and lifted his chin, a question in his eyes, and in answer to that question the King stepped back, letting his friend pass by.

Vos had been with him, all those years ago, when he had tracked Dani across Canada to rescue her from an Alpha who had tortured her years earlier simply because she was Luca's mate. He knew how it felt to want to be the first one through every door to see if your mate was on the other side.

The broad shouldered Alpha moved silently through the darkness up to the window. He wasn't sure what time it was now, but morning couldn't be that far off, and with it the sunrise. They needed to get into this cabin and save Emery. Once she was back in his arms, safe from the bastard who had taken her, and once Cadman had been dealt with, they could worry about whatever it was that had severed the connection between them.