Chapter 31

"Good morning Miss Clarens." Iris who worked on this floor greeted me as I made my way to my office.

"Morning." I replied but way less enthusiastic than her.

When I arrived in my office I shut the door and let out a huge sigh. Greeting and meeting all these people while I'm just going to my office turned more into a sport than I thought. It basically felt like I had just run a marathon.

I raised my eyebrow in confusion as I saw a big bouquet with flowers on my desk. My heart wanted to believe it was from a certain someone so I quickly went over and grabbed the little card, sticking out of the bouquet.

"Darling, Happy Birthday! We're so sad we can't celebrate with you today but we hope you'll have an amazing day.
Much Love from Cuba, Mom & Dad"

With everything going on the past few days I almost forgot it was my birthday. I wasn't in the mood to celebrate anyways and I especially didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

I placed the flowers aside and facetimed my parents for a little bit before getting to work. I looked through some articles for the next issue and approved most of them while the others went back into editing.

After that I looked through some folders with designers who applied for a spot in the magazine and had some calls about contracts and meetings.

Suddenly there was a knock on my door and I called the person in only to see that it was Wes, holding our lunch.

I didn't even realize that it was already lunch time but my glance at the watch confirmed that it was indeed.

"Hey you." He said and placed everything on our little table.

"Hey." I replied, closing the folder I was working on at the moment.

"What's with the flowers?" He asked as I sat down in front of him.

"They're from my parents. Just a reminder that they miss me and all." I lied and immediately took a bite of my sandwich.

"Aww can I take a look at the card?" He asked but was already on his way to go grab it.

"It's not that important." I jumped up from my seat with my mouth still full.

It was too late anyways. No use to hide it from him for no reason.

"Are you serious?! Why didn't you tell me?" He asked after he probably just read the first three words.

"I don't feel like celebrating. My parents aren't home and I'm just not in the mood." I told him the truth but I already knew he wasn't having it.

"You could've at least told me. We can have a little party for ourselves." He suggested and already mumbled some things about cake and balloons.

"I'll be back." He suddenly said and ran out the door.

Two seconds later the door opened again and Wes pulled me into a much needed hug.

"Happy Birthday." He whispered and kissed my cheek before running out the door again.

I shook my head smiling and went to finish my sandwhich while I waited for him to return. He seriously was the best friend I never really had and I don't want to know how my life would've been without him in it.

Half an hour later I got back to work because I got tired of waiting and things needed to get done.

An hour before it was time to go home Wes still wasn't back or maybe he was just in his office so I called his extension but he didn't pick up.

I quickly texted him and finished up with my work for today. As I looked at my phone there were no messages from him so I decided to make my way to his office.

I don't know why I suddenly got very nervous when I arrived on his floor but I can only imagine that it was because of the guy he was sharing his office with.

I walked to their office but already noticed that no one was inside. I opened the door to check if he already went home but most of his things were still here.

I heard someone clear their throat from behind me and relieve came over me thinking it was Wes.

I was wrong.

"Do you know where Wes is?" I asked, looking anywhere but him.

"No." He replied, sounding pissed off.

"Don't even give me that shitty attitude. You want nothing to do with me? Fine but don't talk to me like that." I bursted out.

"Whatever." He shrugged and walked past me.

"Fuck you." I said and walked a couple feet away from the office.

I grabbed my phone from my pocket and went to my contacts to call Wes. The call went straight to voicemail.

I made my way to Macy's floor and when I arrived her office partner told me she already went home an hour ago.

The whole time I was calling Wes but each time it went straight to voicemail and I ran out of places to look for him at the company.

He told me he'd be back.

After I grabbed all my things from my office I took one last look at Wes' office but no one was there anymore.

I was feeling emotionally exhausted as I left the building and sat in my car. I wish I could just turn of my thoughts and breath for a second but that's just not how it works.

Instead of going home I made a quick detour to Wes' apartment but after knocking on his door for five minutes and no noise coming from inside I knew he wasn't home.

I sat in my car for a while until I decided to call Macy but for some reason she didn't pick up either.

On my way home I tried thinking happy thoughts. Maybe he was at my apartment waiting for me?

He probably will make me feel bad for taking so long to come home. Then every chance he gets he'll tease me for letting him wait so long and worrying about him for no reason.

We would eat snacks all evening and watch Netflix like we would always do. Then we'd gossip about celebrities and people at the company until the mood shifts because he accidentally brings up Harry.

Maybe he'll let me break down and cry or he'll tell me to forget that asshole and make jokes to make me laugh.

I snapped out of my thought the second I arrived home and quickly unlocked the door to my apartment.

__________

and...?