Katy

“Beep, beep, beep heavy load coming through!”

Looking down I watched from beneath my lashes as a tall, thin boy in a varsity lacrosse jacket walked by, brushing into me roughly as he past.

“Hey Katy!” a voice called from behind me.

Taking a shaky breath I turned around to find Lexi leaning against her locker, some poor fool on the football team she was claiming as her boyfriend’s varsity jacket hanging from her slender shoulders.

“I know how you can lose ten pounds of ugly fat.” She said loudly attracting the attention of everyone in the hallway.

Tucking a lose strand of hair behind my ear I waited for the undoubtedly hurtful answer.

“Cut off your head!” she laughed, earning hyena like cackles from nosy onlookers.

Struggling not to cry I turned on my heel and continued down the hallway.

“Hey Pratt you have something on your chin!” one of Lexi’s friend shouted after me,  “Oh I’m sorry, that’ wasn’t very specific it’s right there, on the third one down!”

Blinking rapidly I took breaths I rounded the corner and pushed through the large metal doors of the cafeteria.

Looking around nervously I took in the sea of crowded tables. My ears rang with the sounds of laughter, chatter and the general sounds of people enjoying one another’s company, a notion which was foreign to me.

Making sure no one was watching me I bowed my head and clutching the paper bag which held my lunch tightly in my head, started across the chaotic room towards one of the empty tables which lined the far wall.

I was nearly there, just a few tables away when I heard my name being shouted.

Figuring it was some other Katy, a Katy with friends and a boyfriend. One of the four Katy’s on the cheer leading squad I continued forward, however when the call rang out again I stopped, and like a cat reacting to an extended finger, turned.

Immediately I wished I hadn’t as I watched blonde cheerleader Katy number two run up to her boyfriend, her ponytail bouncing.

“Oh my God!” a girl at the table beside which I was stood, laughed, “She thought he was talking to her.”

Looking me up and down with obvious disgust, the girl sat beside her laughed, “Why would he be talking to you?” she asked, “Why would anyone in their right mind talk to you?”

“I would.” A voice said behind me, startling me so badly that I dropped my lunch.

Whirling around I found Annie standing there proudly, wearing a too small t-shirt with a sparkly pink cupcake on it, clearly from the children’s department, and her brother’s varsity jacket.

“Oh wow.” The first girl breathed, “Shrek it’s pet donkey.”

Feeling my face burn with embarrassment I looked down.

“You dropped your lunch.” Annie said, bending down and picking it up for me.

“Thank you.” I mumbled as she handed it to me.

“You’re welcome. No problem, don’t mention it.” She replied patting my arm.

Smiling innocently she then turned to the two girls sat at the table, “I’m Annie.” She said brightly, “What’s your name?”

Stifling a laugh the second girl smiled up at Annie, “My name is I’mdumb.”

“Hi I’m dumb.” Annie replied.