Katy

The bass of the music thundering in the next room, vibrating in my chest I looked around the crowded kitchen nervously.

I’d watched Calum leave a little while ago with scoliosis Sierra.

I have no idea why her curving spine was her identifying factor and not the fact that she wore so much eyeliner that she resembled a panda, however the high schooler’s mind is a dangerously empty thing so their lack of creativity and empathy wasn’t exactly surprising.  

My eyes wandering to where two girls were staring at me and whispering in hushed voices I looked down at my phone. Turning it on I checked the time, opened and closed every app and added emojis to the four people in my contacts, before turning it back off again.

“Who’s Ashton?” a voice questioned over my shoulder.

Startled, I whirled around to find Luke standing behind me, a smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth. He was drunk, that was made obvious by the way the whites of his eyes were tinted red, however cognitively he still seemed more or less with it.

“My um…. My nephews dad.” I replied, awkwardly tucking my hair behind my ear, then untucking it again.

Nodding politely, Luke moved around the table and pulling out the chair next to me, sat down.

“I have two nieces.” He informed me.

Unsure of what to say I offered a small smile and nodded.

Slouching in his chair Luke looked around the kitchen.

“Why are you sitting over here by yourself?” he questioned.

Not wanting to admit that I was not cool enough to even entertain the idea of approaching anyone and trying to make small talk, I shrugged.

“Where did Calum go?” he asked, looking around as if he half expected him to pop out from under the table.

“I don’t know.” I mumbled, “He left with Sierra.”

“Scoliosis Sierra or slept with half the lacrosse team Sierra?”

“The first one.” I replied.

“Nice.” Luke said nodding, “She has great boobs. I don’t know why I just said that. That’s so weird, you’re a girl, I’m sorry.”

Smirking, I looked down at the table.

“I’m sorry.” He repeated.

“It’s oaky.” I assured him, “As far as boobs go, hers are visually appealing.”

Snickering under his breath, Luke nodded.

Smiling I turned on my phone once again and looked at the time.

“I know what you’re doing.” Luke informed me.

“What?” I questioned.

“I know what you’re doing.” He repeated, “The, ‘no one is talking to me so I’m going to stare at my phone and pretend I’m texting someone important’”

“I am not!” I argued, even though I was.

“It’s okay.” Luke laughed, “It’s a classic. Everybody has done it at some point.”

“Have you?” I asked.

“No.” he replied.

“Oh.” I mumbled.

“I’m kidding.” He laughed, nudging my leg with his knee, “Lighten up Katy.”

Forcing a smile I pulled my sleeves over my hands.