Calum

“Alright, good practice boys. I’ll see you tomorrow night for a game. Which you bozos better win.”

“Yes Coach Gunn.”

“Alright, get out of here.”

The circle of boys dispersed then, crossing over to the pile of backpacks sitting on the track which surrounded the field.

“Dude I’m whipped.” Luke groaned, lying down on the track beside his backpack, “Those damn sprints are going to be the death of me.”

Blinking rapidly to try and dispel the black dots from my vision I sank down beside him, and jammed my finger in my ear, trying to release the tension causing my eardrums to ring.

“You okay?” Luke questioned, “You look like you’re gonna puke man.”

“I’m fine.” I laughed, my chest heaving, as I pulled off my cleats.

“What are you doing later?” Luke asked, running his fingertips through his blonde, sweaty hair.

“Stuff.” I answered, removing my socks, nearly gagging at the smell.

“That’s descriptive Cal thanks.” Luke laughed, propping himself up on his elbow, “Do you wanna go see a movie or something.”

“Oh, uh, I would.” I lied, “But I have a family thing.”

Sighing, Luke flopped back down.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, pulling off my shin guards and almost vomiting at the thick, white sweat which clung to the black foam material.

“Don’t worry about it.” Luke shrugged, “I’ll ask Michael.”

“Ask me what?” Michael questioned, dragging his bag over to us and sitting down on Luke’s other side.

“Why your Mom is so hot?” Luke taunted.

His mouth opening in shock, Michael wiped his sweaty shin guard on Luke’s face.

“Ew!” Luke shouted, “You asshole!”

Laughing, Michael tossed his shin guards in his bag.

“Are you busy tonight?” Luke grumbled, wiping his face off with his sweatpants.

“I’m watching Annie while my parents go out.” Michael sighed.

“She’s sixteen.” Luke pointed out, “I’m sure she’s fine.”

“Yeah well she almost set the house on fire last night trying to cook Raman noodles.” Michael grumbled.

“You guys suck.” Luke whined.

Rolling my eyes, I pulled on my tennis shoes and rose to my feet.

“You’re sure you can’t hang out?” Luke groaned.

“Sorry.” I sighed, running my fingertips through my hair, “I’ll see you guys tomorrow at the game.”

Sighing, Luke waved half heartedly. Throwing my backpack over my shoulder I made my way through the sea of dudes, to the bleachers.  My legs shaky from the sprints, I slowly made my way up the bleachers to my car.

Opening the door to the backseat, I threw my backpack in and was about to get into the driver’s seat when some girls caught my eye.

I recognized one of them as Bethany, a girl who’d slept with about three fourths of the soccer team and fifty percent of the football team, and Michael’s little sister Annie, but none of the others.

Standing with one hand on the door handle to my car I pricked my ears and listened.

“Where are you going retard?” Bethany laughed, making me cringe.