Katy

“Sarah.”

“Cassidy.”

“Danita.”

“Eloise.”

“Zara.”

“Erin.”

“Maggie.”

“Lily.”

“Jessica.”

“Aubrey.”

“Mallory.”

Chewing my lower lip I looked to my left where Annie Milton was standing, twisting her shirt in her fingertips. Her classes were slipping down her small, nose, her large tongue poking out from between her teeth.

I didn’t want her to get picked last, she had Down Syndrome, it wasn’t fair, but I dreaded being chosen last even though I knew I would be.

“Annie.”

Breathing out a sigh of relief Annie shuffled over to the group who had called her.

“God.” Bethany Johnson sighed, looking me up and down in disgust, twirling her blonde ponytail around her fingertips, “Can’t we just play a girl down instead of having that, on out team.”

Looking down at my tennis shoes I pulled at my shirt, separating the thin, unforgiving material from my gut.

“Bethany do I need to send you to the office?” our Gym teacher Mr. Gunn sighed.

Rolling her eyes Bethany crossed her arms over her rather impressive chest.

“Katy don’t just stand there, go join your team please.” Mr. Gunn said, turning to me.

Realizing that every eye was now trained on me, their judgmental retinas searing into my skin, making the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

“Katy.” Mr. Gunn said slowly, “Join your team please.”

“I um…. I don’t feel well.” I lied.

“What happened, did you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror?” Bethany laughed.

Closing my eyes I looked down.

“What’s the matter Katy?” Mr. Gunn sighed.

“She probably ate too much at lunch.” Bethany’s friend Lexi giggled.

Earning an annoyed glare from Mr. Gunn she instantly fell silent.

“Katy, I think gym could do you some good.” He said turning to me.

“Yeah.” Bethany laughed, “You need it.”

Frowning, I awkwardly walked forward and joined Bethany’s group, who eyed me in disgust, while Lexi’s group watched on with a mix of sympathy and amusement.

“Are you sure you’re feeling okay Katy?” Mr. Gunn questioned, “I don’t want you puking on this field.”

“I’m fine.” I muttered.

“Okay.” He sighed, “Good. Then let’s have the starts take the  field.”

“Katy. You sit.” Bethany spat, pushing me towards the metal bench where Annie was already sitting.

Hanging my head I shuffled over to the sun warmed slab of hot metal and sitting on my hands to avoid burning my bare legs, exposed in my unflattering gym shorts, sat down.

“Hi.” Annie said quietly, turning to smile at me.

“Hi.” I replied quietly, tucking my hair behind me ear and pulling me shirt from the rolls on my stomach which had formed when I sat down.