Calum

“Okay so what do you guys think? Hat or no nat?”

“No hat.”

“No hat.”

Nodding, Luke pulled off his head and tossed it onto the bed where Michael and I were sitting.

“What time do we have to pick up Katy?” Michael asked.

“We don’t she’s coming here.” Luke answered, spraying copious amounts of hairspray into his hair.

“Do you really think it’s a good idea to bring her to a party?” I mumbled.

“Yeah, why not?” Luke asked.

“She’s going to get made fun of.” I replied.

“She’ll stick with us.” Luke said as he shrugged on his varsity jacket.

“I know.” I mumbled, “I just don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“Miss Kit asked us to spend time with her so she doesn’t like… off herself or something.” Michael sighed, rolling onto his back and letting his legs hang over the side of the bed.

"Do you think she'd actually do that?" Luke whispered, as if the very subject of suicide was not something to be discussed allowed.

"Who knows." Michael replied, "Some girl at North Lake did last year after her nudes leaked."

Wincing, I looked down at the bed.

“I feel bad for her.” Luke announced, “I used to be a fat kid, it sucks.”

“I know but you did something about it.” Michael pointed out, “Why doesn’t she?”

Luke shrugged.

“How much do you think you have to eat a day to be that big?” Michael questioned.

“A lot.” Luke replied.

“I don’t see why she doesn’t just go on a diet.” Said Michael.

“Maybe she can’t.” I snapped, startling both boys.

“Why?” Luke questioned.

“You don’t know anything about her.” I replied, “She could have a thyroid problem, maybe her family just feeds her Twinkies all day! You don’t know! Not to mention she has an eating disorder so why don’t you stop talking about her?”

Looking surprised, Luke opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something then closed it.

“She has an eating disorder?” Michael questioned.

“Shit.” I whispered, remembering the code of conduct hanging from the wall at therapy, starting with ‘what happens in therapy stays in therapy.’

“What?” Luke asked.

“You can’t tell anyone that.” I said quickly, “I wasn’t even supposed to tell you that.”

“How do you even know?” Michael questioned.

Not about to tell the two that I spent every Tuesday afternoon at a shrink I shrugged.

Frowning slightly, Luke started to press further when there was a knock on the door before it was swung open to reveal Luke’s Mom.

“Hey Mrs. Hemmings.” Michael greeted.

“Someone is here to see you boys.” She said pleasantly, stepping back and allowing Katy to awkwardly shuffle forward.

“Hey Katy!” Luke greeted brightly, as if we weren’t just talking about her, “I like your hair.”

Blushing, Katy looked down at her hair, which for the first time since kindergarten that it hung loose, tumbling around her shoulders in loose curls.

“Thank you.” She said awkwardly.

“Are you ready to experience your first party?” Michael asked, sitting up.

“No.” she admitted nervously.

“Don’t worry.” Luke laughed, “You’re going to love it.”